Book 2: Bound South

Bound South is complete and available to read on my profile @ajArnault

Chapter 1
Camilla

They told me once, nothing grows when a house ain't a home."

More, by Halsey

I couldn't be sure if it was my nerves, or the oppressive coldness of the place, but Tenney House didn't feel like home. At least, not one I'd ever lived in.

Even though rich wood wainscoting covered the walls of his childhood bedroom, and lush, navy blue drapes hung from the windows, South's room felt... impersonal.

I padded quietly around, running my gloved hand over each surface.

There was an old wooden writing desk where our accountability logs had been set, along with two copies of the family schedule. I was still trying to wrap my brain around cataloging my day for review by his father. Listing indiscretions beside ways to be a better person seemed more harmful than helpful.

It's all part of his game, I told myself.

I strolled over to an armchair upholstered in a nautical print sitting beside a long dresser. Both were framed by matching floor-to-ceiling windows. I tried to imagine South as a small child wreaking havoc inside here.

South followed behind me with hands clasped behind his back. I glanced at him before touching the velvet bed hangings attached to a canopied queen size bed.

Everything was neat and orderly, nothing out of place, except...maybe the dusty trunk that sat at the foot of the bed.

South bent low and opened the burnished gold latch, then lifted the heavy lid with care.

I crouched beside him and peered inside to find stacks of folded hockey jerseys. Each one emblazoned with the number four.

South thumbed through the trunk, saying little, until he uncovered a ratty teddy bear tucked beneath the uniforms.

It was the only item in the room that looked well loved.

"What's his name?" I asked, tugging off one of my long satin gloves and running a finger over the bear's velveteen nose.

"This is Saja."

I couldn't describe the look on my boyfriend's face as he contemplated the toy. I don't think I'd ever seen him look at something with such reverence.

"That's a..." I crinkled my nose, "nice name."

South let out a sputtering laugh. "Saja means lion in Korean." His laughter died away, and South got quiet before he added, "When my dad found the bear in my bed one night, he told my mother Tenney boys shouldn't be sleeping with teddy bears. He said stuffed animals would make us weak."

"That's not true." My tone was sharper than I meant it to be. Although, I shouldn't be surprised that his father didn't believe children should have toys to cuddle and love.

"The next morning, I threw the bear off the dock in our backyard. I remember watching him float upside down in the water before marching back up to the house. I was so angry with myself for using the bear to help me sleep. I didn't want to be weak."

Tears pricked in my eyes. I had rows and rows of teddy bears on my bed as a kid, and they were all special to me and one way or another. I couldn't imagine throwing one of them into the ocean.

I slid one arm around his shoulders, letting my chin rest against his arm.

In the low light of his room, surrounded by the coldness that persisted here, I couldn't help but feel like South hadn't just opened a trunk, but the next nesting doll surrounding his heart.