03 • Wish You Were Here

Jae poured more wine while we sat on the edge of his bed, drinking and laughing about his addiction to cherry lollipops

"Is it only cherry-flavored ones?" I asked, playfully bumping his shoulder with mine. "Or do you dabble in other colors?"

"Strictly cherry. And only the kind with gum on the inside."

"That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard."

Jae laughed—a real, deep belly laugh—and I realized how much I liked the sound.

"I don't drink caffeine, so the sugar helps keep me awake during long..." His voice trailed off, gaze landing on the carpet.

"During long... nights?" I offered.

After a moment, Jae's attention shifted back to me. "Yeah, during long nights."

There was a sadness in him that I thought I recognized in myself. And the longer I stared into his dark eyes, the more I wanted to kiss him again and push that sadness away.

Jae had an intangible quality that drew me in.

I was sitting on his bed, completely naked, talking about lollipops, and... it felt good.

It made me a little sad that this night had to end. Because as scared as I had been of hooking up with a random stranger for a night, I was terrified of letting one break my heart.

Especially a vacationer.

I finished the last of my wine and found Jae still staring at me. "What?" I asked.

"You are so fucking beautiful."

My gaze slid down his very muscled, very naked body. Heat filling my cheeks. If I was beautiful, then he was art. A sculpture carved by a master's hand.

"You wanna take a shower with me?"

Jae bit his lip, which was swollen from all the kissing we'd done, before scooping me up and carrying me to his bathroom, which was just as clean and organized as the rest of his apartment.

When our bodies collided again, it was different—softer and slower. The water cascading between us as we found different ways to move together.

"I'm never going to forget this moment," Jae said, holding me against the cool tile wall. "And the way you're looking at me right now."

I gripped his shoulders as he thrust into me again, his name slipping between my lips. Every inch of my body drawn again every inch of his.