38 • The Facts

After an hour of talking, Connor and I managed to compile a list of everything we knew about the case so far

"So, let's go over this one more time," Connor said with a yawn.

My pencil hovered over the notebook, ready to follow along. Even though it was well past three in the morning, I'd never felt more energized.

Connor hadn't tried to make me feel guilty about wanting to continue the investigation after our disastrous night at Castle Hill Inn, for which I was grateful. 

"Let's start at the very beginning. We have your dad witnessing fraud and a possible sexual assault back in 2008, which led to bribery in the form of a promotion."

I bit my lip, trying not to think too hard on my dad's story, and placed a checkmark beside the line.

"The good thing is that event can be verified in his military record, and there might even be witnesses who are still in the military and subject to the Uniformed Code of Military Justice who can corroborate his story. A yeoman or a former aide maybe."

I hadn't thought about that. "Good point."

"Thanks," Connor said briskly. "Fast forward to this summer. We have Stella and Leona's account of the events at Easton's wedding on July 5th where Admiral Tenney allegedly choked his son and punched him after evidence of an affair surfaced with the Flag Aide Lieutenant Raske."

I nodded. "Yes, that's what they'd said. West had been assaulted that night."

The memory of Connor and I slow dancing on that inch of dance floor drifted through my mind. South watching on with jealous eyes.

He'd told me I looked like a sunbeam on the ocean.

"We also have Jack Dougherty's—or whatever his real name is—appearance at your office and his questions regarding your dad's views on Admiral Tenney and... umm, your relationship with South."

Connor's voice trailed off. I didn't say anything but made a checkmark beside that point in my notes.

Silence came, and I could almost feel Connor wanting to say something he shouldn't. So, I jumped in. "This is when I came to you and asked if you could help me get Admiral Tenney's schedule."

There was a pause.

"Yes, which I agreed to. Next came your interview of the Head Chef at Castle Hill Inn. Red admitted to having knowledge of Admiral Tenney bringing women to the hotel every Friday he was in town, and that a bad check was written to a landscaper friend."

"Correct," I said, checking that item off. "Jack said he'd be looking into the landscaper, and this is also when he offered me a job."

"I'm sure he did," Connor said under his breath.

I remembered the exhilaration that came with feeling like Jack wanted me on his team. Then, the crushing disappointment of finding out he was a complete fraud. Just as fake as I was.