43 • You Don't Know Jack

My stomach dropped down to my knees as I watched my boyfriend get into the silver Mercedes and reverse out the driveway

Headlight beams flicked on, and the car disappeared down Ocean Avenue. A quiet settled over the dark road, save for the murmur of distant music and the roar of the waves.

He was gone.

I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think.

South didn't know what I knew. He didn't understand his dad wanted to use him, that his dad would try and bring him into the fold—whatever that meant.

I knew this wasn't going to be a quick drive around the block. This was going to end one of two ways, with South agreeing to help his dad because he was coerced, or denying to help and getting hurt...or worse.

Don't focus on the worse case scenario.

This was all my fault. I should have run to him. I should have told him what I knew.

I had been too scared of upsetting him, not realizing the time for regrets and being scared had long passed.

We loved each other, and loving someone meant you didn't leave them when they needed you the most. South might believe he was trying to protect me, but I knew in my heart I could be strong. I wasn't some pussy ass bitch.

A warm hand landed on my back, and I startled. "Sorry to scare you, Miss Isley," Tom remarked, "but I'd be more than happy to have you stay here under the protection of my staff." His kind green eyes took up the look of a concerned father. "Until Les Tenney is brought low, please don't underestimate him."

Tears blurred my vision before I blinked them away. Tom might understand how evil the admiral was, and he might even want him behind bars, but there was something he didn't get.

"Mr. Fredericksen," I choked out, my voice imploring. "He's going to hurt South. This is going to be Easton's wedding all over again. Except no one will be there to save him."

Tom studied me. "You're sure?" he asked. "Les is going to do something rash tonight?"

I nodded. "Absolutely."

Mr. Fredericksen flicked his gaze back towards the massive pavilion.

"Turner," Tom said abruptly.

"Yes, sir."

The two men shared a knowing look, one that said more than I'd ever be able to decipher.

"Keep Stella and Spencer occupied. Let them present the check to the society. Get the band playing. Tell Chantal we're a go."

Riding SouthOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara