19 • The Interrogation

My whole body clenched

"Lianna," I gasped, trying not to let the surprise show, but it was impossible. Red rimmed eyes and streaks of black mascara staining bloodless cheeks greeted me. "Is everything okay?"

The sad look on her face soured into something more...angry. "Seriously? That's all you have to fucking say? Am I okay?"

Okay, so Lianna was mad about South and not bothering to hide it.

I took a moment to compose myself before responding, which proved to be a fruitless effort because Lianna wasn't done.

"I mean, I tell you South is a good fuck, and suddenly you're into him?"

I drew in a deep breath and tried to remind myself that Lianna was my boss, and I was a PR specialist. I refused to fight in the women's bathroom like a couple of high schoolers.

"I'm so sorry that you feel that way, but I promise that's not what happened. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, and neither did he."

Lianna let out a huff that twisted into a sob. She turned back to the mirror, studying her reflection. "You always know just what to say, don't you?"

The edge in her tone had my fists clenching. I knew I should just turn around and leave. Inform the Director that Lianna and need conflict mediation. This conversation should be happening in the conference room with a third party present. But the thought of explaining myself in front of another coworker caused a wave of embarrassment to wash over me.

"You're like the fakest person I've ever met, and I've lived in this town my whole life." Lianna pulled out a tube of Fendi lip gloss and swiped a line over her lips. "Smiling and saying nice things to my face, just to turn around and fuck the guy I'm into."

I'd never been in a physical fight before, but Lianna's bitter words were like fingers twisting in my hair, ready to throw me to the floor.

She thought I was fake? I don't know why that hurt so much, but it did.

"I'm sure you're the one that put South up to that fake-ass apology, too," Lianna snapped. "Weren't you?"

Fake-ass apology? Another wave of embarrassment rolled past the guilt and anger.

This wasn't happening. I wasn't this person. I didn't argue with girls over guys. And people didn't call me fake. People didn't really say anything about me at all except that I was nice. And professional.

I clenched my fists tighter. Maybe I was fake. Forgettable and fake.

"Listen Lianna, I'm not trying to defend myself. Or him. You're right, I should have told you." Even though I knew I should leave, I couldn't. The words were falling out of my mouth and I couldn't stop myself. "South and I hung out before I knew you were interested in him. He was my skydiving instructor, and one thing led to another. Then he asked me out for dinner. I mean, it all happened so fast, and I wasn't even sure if I wanted to date him."