Chapter 9

Lauren's POV

“I’m proud of you” Hunter says over the phone.

“Yea, whatever” I grumble.

“No really” he persists. “It’s a big step.”

“I’m not necessarily through.” I tell him. Actually, I prayed I wasn’t through. While Peyton prayed she was accepted, I prayed I was rejected. I hadn’t entered right away when I’d finally decided to do it. I’d waited pretty last minute actually. I liked to see Hunter sweat.

Finally though, I did enter. I’d half expected a reaction from Louis, but there was nothing. Maybe he didn’t care about finding out who I was anymore.

“Look I’ve got to go, I got class,” I tell Hunter as I arrive at my building.

“Have fun nerd” he jokes.

“Yea, yea, yea, whatever dork” I reply, hanging up.

As the weeks rolled by, I focused more and more on my classwork. I’d done covers of Strawberry Wine, Where I come from, and Tattoos on this Town, but for the most part, it had to take a back seat as I had to spend more time studying for finals that were fast approaching. They were expecting an announcement any day of who’d won the 1D cover contest. They had about a month and half until they would be in LA and the cover artists would be expected to record with them. They would have to make plans now if they were going to be able to get the cover people there in time. According to Peyton, the rumor going around was that they’d announce the winners on Radio1 tomorrow morning, which would be around 11 pm tonight, our time. Peyton was planning on staying up and listening to Grimmy’s breakfast show to hear who’d won. I’d probably be up also, but I’d be more focused on who did what in Computer Architecture than on who won the cover. There’d been hundreds of thousands of entries. I highly doubted I’d be one of the winners. A couple hours later and I’m sitting criss cross on my bed, my textbooks splayed around me. Peyton turns up the volume on her computer, and I hear Little Things playing. When the song ends, Grimmy’s voice appears.

“And we’re back with One Direction who’ve got a very special announcement to make. Boys?”

“These past few months we’ve received countless auditions. You guys were all fantastic, but we’ve finally picked our winners.” Harry says.

“The people that are going to go to LA with us are AllyAlly10, BroadMae, The Future Kicks, Kurt Shneider, and…” Liam says before he’s cut off by Grimmy.

“And the final person will be announced after this song” Grimmy says and Peyton groans.

“C’mon, Just say my name” she begs her computer.

“The creator of the von Neumann architecture, which allows computer programs to be stored to memory are…” I read off my flashcard, searching my brain for the answer.

“Just_Me” Grimmy says.

“What?” I cry out in shock

“No!” Peyton adds at the same time. I feel like I’m about to pass out. No, this could not be happening. What was I going to do. I scramble out of bed, grabbing my phone and rushing toward the door.

“I uhh.. I got to get my laundry out of the machine,” I say, grabbing at any idea as Peyton looks at me strangely. I hurry to the closed lounge for our dorm floor, glancing around quickly to make sure no one was there before dialing Hunter. It rings a few times before a very sleep boy answers the phone.

“Whaddayawant” he slurs tiredly.

“This is all your fault,” I hiss.

“What?” he asks, his confusion mixing with his tiredness.