Chapter 49

Lauren's POV

“You’re home!” my mom exclaims as I walk in the house, engulfing me in a hug.

“You weren’t this excited to see me” Hunter jokes, walking in behind me, having picked me up from the airport.

“Well that’s because there was no snow storm that might’ve cancelled your flight,” Mom teases.

“Merry Christmas sweet pea” my dad says, giving me a hug as mom releases me.

“Merry Christmas Daddy,” I say. A bark from my dog lets me know he wants attention also. I laugh, releasing my dad and bending to pet him.

“Merry Christmas to you too Hunter” I coo to my dog.

“Thanks…” my brother says sarcastically. I grin at him, standing up again and giving him a big wet kiss on the cheek.

“Merry Christmas dork” I say.

“Merry Christmas nerd” he replies with a smile.

“Dinner should be ready in an hour,” my mom says as she heads back into the kitchen. “Why don’t you go unpack?” I give a nod and grab my suitcase, heading up to my room with both Hunters following me up.

“So how was London? You and Louis play nice?” Hunter asks, sitting on my bed, petting the dog while I unpack.

“It was good. We talked to a counselor who helped us sort some things out.”

“You?” he asks with a laugh. “You went to a counselor? The girl who got suspended in third grade for making a guidance counselor at school cry when she was sent to talk to her after knocking over a kid who was making fun of her braids? Is the counselor still alive?”

”Oh shut up,” I say with a laugh, throwing a balled up sweater at him.

“So how was the birthday party?” he grins, easily catching the sweater. I immediately sober up.

“Can I ask you something?” I ask, toying with the sleeve on one of the shirts.

“I think you just did,” he teases, the smile faltering slightly when he sees my expression. “What’s up?”

“If Paisley had dated someone before you and her ex was super hot and a really nice guy, what would you do?”

His brow furrows in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Well… it’s just… Eleanor showed up at the party and—“

“Who’s Eleanor?” Hunter cuts in.

“Louis’ ex. And she’s absolutely stunning and perfect and I met her at the party last night and she was super nice which she didn’t have to be since I was kinda part of why they broke up in the first place. And then when she left, she handled the paparazzi like it was nothing and I just…”

“Ahh I see now,” he says. “You don’t think you compare.”

“I just… it’s gotta be fake. I mean… why would Louis pick someone like me over her? It just doesn’t make sense.”

“Tweetie,” he says, getting up and walking over, kneeling next to me. “You might not be the most graceful in front of the paparazzi and sometimes you can have a bit of a temper—“

“Thanks,” I say sarcastically.

“But,” he continues. “You also could make Eeyore laugh, and sing with so much emotion, and are probably one of the most intelligent people I know.”