Chapter 54

Louis’ POV

I watch as she takes off out of the barn going so fast she looked like a blur. I was guessing she found the box. The other night, her dad had called me once she’d left to her friend’s, giving me time to come over and plant the notes. It felt a bit creepy to have been roaming her house at night, but I had to remind myself it was all for the best. Frankly, I was surprised she was even giving the notes a chance. She was stubborn and I thought as soon as she saw my letters she’d have burned them or shredded them, wanting nothing to do with me. It left me feeling hopeful. I knew that this letter might’ve hurt, but I was hoping the one for the field would lift her spirits a little. I’d picked a Taylor Swift song, despite my immense dislike for the girl. Lauren liked her music and the song fit perfectly. The way I loved you. I just had to hope that she hadn’t already found someone else. Realistically I knew she hadn’t. It had barely been a week and from what her dad said, she hadn’t been herself since. Yet, I still worried. She was mine, and I wasn’t willing to let her go.

A sound down the road distracts me and I see a car rolling up the driveway. Hunter must be home. I remember her dad had mentioned he’d be coming home for a bit. He was worried about Lauren, and was taking a break to watch over her. I duck into the barn so he doesn’t see me as he exits the car. I figured I had a bit of time before Lauren returned. From what I’d been told, she could be out riding all day. Even if it was cold. Right now, I just had to wait for her dad to come out and meet with me.  I had more letters for him to place. He was in charge of placing them when she was actually in the house since I didn’t want to risk being seen. Belle makes a sound and I smile at her before hesitantly petting her. Horses were big. Just because Lauren trusted them, didn’t mean I wasn’t nervous of getting squashed. A sound at the door startles me, and I turn in fear that Lauren had gotten back early. I breathe a sigh of relief to see Hunter’s shocked expression, but that is instantly replaced with fear as his face morphs from shock to anger.

“You” he growls, striding over and pushing me back against the wall, his hand around my neck. My eyes widen and I try to pull his hand away but I can’t. “I told you what would happen if you hurt her. How can you even show your face around here?” I try to make a sound but his grip is too tight.

“Let him go,” his dad interrupts and I breathe a sigh of relief as his grip slackens.

“What is he doing here? You know what he did to Tweety.”

“He’s here to help.”

“Help? That’s what he said last time, and look what happened,” he argues. I feel a bubble of guilt rise in my stomach. Hunter was a nice guy and was only trying to protect his sister, but it hurt to hear those words. He was right. I’d only come here to get an apology and help her adjust. Things had turned out differently though when I’d started to get to know her. I’d been caught. Hook, line, and sinker.

“Got any better ideas?” her dad shoots back and I finally see Hunter falter.

“I think it’s working” I say quietly, attracting both their attention. “She looked upset when she left.” In any other scenario, that would be a bad thing, but in this case, it was good. It was good that she felt something. Anything.

“Fine” he growls and I pull the new letters out of my pocket to give to her dad. Hunter snatches them from my hand though, looking the envelopes over.

“What are these?”

“Not for you” I say, trying to grab them back, but he keeps them out of reach. He gives me a look saying I wouldn’t get them back until I told him. “They’re for Lauren”