Chapter 53

Louis’ POV

I didn’t know what to do. I’d finally arrived in Tennessee after what seemed like forever airport hopping, I’d started with a short flight to France, to throw off any fans that had seen me at the airport before catching a flight to Detroit where I had a layover before flying to Louisville. There, I rented a car and drove the two and a half hours to just outside of Nashville where she lived. By the time I’d arrived, I was positive no one knew where I was. With a baseball cap kept low over my face and a baggy sweatshirt on, I hoped that I’d be able to keep that anonymity. But now that I was here, I didn’t know where to start. I was certain that Lauren wouldn’t be keen on seeing me since she wouldn’t even call. So here I was. Sitting in my car outside her home, wondering if I dared approach. I needed some form of plan. Some idea as to what to say to her to convince her it wasn’t all just an act. I needed someone on my side. I mentally went through the list of people here that maybe I could approach for help. Hunter? No, he’d told me what would happen if I hurt her. Approaching him would probably result in my death. Madison? No, I ruined her wedding. Blake? Possibly. He’d never threatened my life like Hunter. I’m not sure where I stood with Lauren’s best friend. I see her dad emerge from the house and I duck down below the window so he wouldn’t see me. A knock on the window makes me jump, but the face there has me almost pissing myself. I roll down the window, a sickening fear rising in my stomach.

“You’ve been out here a while now aint ya son?” her father asks, leaning on the window, looking down at me. “C’mon inside, we need ta have a talk.” I open the door and he heads inside, leaving me to follow like a child about to receive his punishment. I just hoped we weren’t heading inside so he could kill me quietly.

“Sit” he orders, pointing to the kitchen table where, last time I’d been here, I’d been facing down the barrel of a gun. Luckily this time the table was weapon-free. I take the seat instantly as he takes the one across from me, folding his hands on the table. I glance over at the staircase, half expecting to see Lauren walk down the stairs.

“She’s not here. She’s visiting her school friends in California,” her father says gruffly when he sees me looking over there.

“What?” I ask in surprise. I hadn’t planned for this. I’d been sure she’d be home. “When is she—“

“Uh uh” he silences me. “It’s my turn to talk.” I try to hide my gulp, feeling myself pale under his relentless gaze. “Lauren is my baby girl. I don’t like when boys come here and try to take her away from me.”

“I—“ I begin saying, freezing when I see the look in his eyes, letting him continue.

“From day one, you came here acting like you were entitled to whatever you want. To my daughter. And I guess she liked that. But now, my baby girl is hurting and it’s your fault.”

“I know, I—“ I try again, once again silenced by his eyes.

“Actually, she’s worse than hurting. She’s nothing. She’s acting like she doesn’t feel at all.”

“I just—“

“I miss the old Lauren, the light in her eyes. The funny thing is, you seemed to bring it out the most. The second you walked in that door and she exploded on you, I haven’t seen her act that way since she was little. And it’s not just the anger either. I haven’t seen her as happy as when she was with you in a long time. Now I assume that since you’re here, what I’ve been reading in the newspapers is all a rumor so I expect you to bring that girl back, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir,” I say instantly.

“Good,” he says, pushing himself up from the table. “She’ll be home the day after tomorrow. We’ll set you up at Aunt May’s because Lauren certainly won’t want you here. You will figure out what to do and how to bring my little girl back. I’ll help if I can, but it’s your responsibility. Don’t disappoint me.” The last sentence sounds like a threat, making me hastily nod my head.