ϟ92: REGULUS WANTS HERMIONE'S AUTOGRAPHϟ

Regulus didn't know why the Sorting Hat was singing an unusual song about how they needed to stay united during these dark times, but whatever the case, the Hat was doing a good job in freaking them out. 

He was sitting in the Slytherin table, twirling his wand lazily in his hands. Next to him, Amycus and Gibbon were conversing amongst themselves in hushed whispers, and Regulus didn't have to strain his ear to know that they were talking about the Dark Lord. 

Dumbledore was giving his usual welcome speech, and for once, Regulus actually felt at peace. His summer vacation wasn't nearly as bad as his previous ones, but it wasn't the best either. Walburga and Orion had taken to pestering Regulus everyday to take his responsibilities of being the Black heir properly. The pressure had been quite overwhelming, and frankly, he sometimes got jealous of Sirius.

But he honestly couldn't complain—Sirius, Rhea and Luna had already asked him to leave Grimmauld Place for good, but Regulus had vehemently told them that he couldn't just leave like that. No matter how much Regulus hated his parents, he still couldn't bring himself to leave them. Sure, he would fight on the Order's side, but leaving wasn't an option.

At least, not yet. He'd already made his plans, and all he had to do was wait...

"Regulus," a voice called out, shaking Regulus from his reverie. He turned to look at Amycus and Gibbon, who were watching him tentatively.

They didn't necessarily like how Regulus spent most of his time with 'blood traitors and half bloods', but being the dense gits they were, they never confronted him about it. Besides, Severus had already put in a good word for him to them, Avery and Mulciber, and needless to say, it worked. Mainly because they respected Severus a lot. 

"What?" Regulus asked coldly, impassively looking at them. 

"Your lambs are coming over," Amycus nodded at the Gryffindor table, where, Luna, Timothy, Dorcas and Amy were making their way towards him. (Amy had been sitting in the Gryfiindor table for a change). "Wonder why you tolerate them, really."

"Remember how the freak handed you that ludicrous necklace?" Gibbon snorted, his eyes boring into Luna. "The one made of butterbeer corks. I'd have died of humiliation."

Regulus gritted his teeth, his fingers curling around the necklace in his pocket. "Odd one, she is." He forced out, a sneer on his face.

"That's an understatement." Amycus leered, "once I join the a Dark Lord, I'll make sure to ask him to allow me to teach the blonde freak a lesson—"

In your fucking dreams, Carrow

"—full of herself, the bi—"

"Amycus, I thought you knew better than to be vocal about joining the Dark Lord." Regulus hissed icily, "you two are getting careless—if Dumbledore finds out, you're dead, you understand me? Now go; they're almost here."

Luna, Amy, Timothy and Dorcas looked curiously between Regulus, Amycus and Gibbon, expressions mingled with suspicion and hostility. Amycus glared at them coldly, before beckoning to Gibbon to follow him. 

The two boys walked over to where Alecto sat, sparing Regulus a last glance before doing so. Luna and Timothy took their seats next to Regulus, while Dorcas and Amy sat opposite them, all of their eyebrows raised.

"What did they want?" Dorcas asked instantly. "Were they—"

"Forget it," Regulus cut her off, "they were being gits, that's all."

His friends exchanged hesitant looks, but they didn't comment on it further. Luna spooned some peas onto her plate, looking dreamily at them as she smoothly changed the topic.