Chapter 3

I screamed at the top of my lungs. I was sick to my stomach about everything that had been going on for the past few months. I didn't even know why my family was falling apart in the first place. I hated how I didn't move after I screamed, because I just didn't have it in me. I couldn't find the strength to do anything, so I just began to walk forward.

I was walking through complete confusion now, not aware of where I was. I didn't know where I was going either. It never bothered me though, realizing that nothing important was waiting for me back at the house anyway. Who was actually going to be looking for me when I walked through the back door?

It began to get darker outside, and woods and bushes surrounded me. The wind pushed me backwards as I tried to move forward, almost like a storm was moving towards us. I was entirely on mute until I heard a voice come from behind me.

"Hey," a girl said, as I swung myself away from her.

I fell straight on my butt and was beyond embarrassed. "Um," I said, surprised.

 The girl standing in front of me had long brown hair, much longer than mine. It was straight and she was so pretty. I wondered how a girl this beautiful would be standing on the dirt and rocks below our feet, instead of on the cover of a Glamor Magazine.

"Hey," I finally said, standing up. "I didn't know someone was behind me."

"It's okay," she laughed. "Sorry if I scared you."

"No big deal," I shrugged. "No harm done."

She reached her arm out towards me and grabbed my hand softly, shaking it. "Nice to meet you."

"Yeah you too," I said, smiling quickly.

"My name's Stephanie." She waited.

I just stared at her like an idiot until I realized what was going on. "Oh and it's Rosalie," I said, wiping the wetness from under my eyes with the back of my hand. "My name's Rosalie."

"That's pretty," she sweetly replied. "Can I call you Rose?"

"Sure. Most of the people in my family call me it, so I guess you can too. At least you asked," I shrugged, swallowing even though my throat was dry.

"Then it's a good thing I'm polite," she giggled. Looking down at my pj's and then giggling. "Nice pajamas."

"Oh, thanks," I laughed.

"You're welcome. So, you lived in Florida?"

"Yeah, I was born there. How did you know?"

"Rumors get around pretty easy," she told me. "My neighbor knows your uncle."

"Oh, that's cool. What a small world," I said.

"Yeah. So." She looked at me in concentration. "You look really troubled..."

I let out a deep breath. "I do?"

"Yes. Your eyes are totally blood shot," she hinted, as if she knew I had cried.

"Kind of."

"And why is that? Want to talk about it?" she said, in tuned with my emotions.

"Maybe," I admitted, not knowing if I would accidentally say too much.

"Let's walk," she offered, gently linking her arm through mine. She was extremely friendly, and I liked it.

"Well I guess you can say my life is definitely a mess. My parents are getting divorced, well, they are. But I like to think of it as if they're just seperated for a while, so I don't fall apart."