Chapter 34

Chapter 34

For the rest of the week, everything went normal. Friday was also good, until Alexander and I got driven into Boston for his first treatment of his 2nd chemotherapy cycle. Hopefully, this time it would work fully, and make him healthy again. What I didn't fully realize was how strong it truly was...

Instead of being in the outpatient IV section, Nancy got him a private room where he would be able to feel comfortable. Dr. Carter warned us that anything could happen, especially because his body would not exactly be used to handling this dosage, but it was a better chance for Alex going into remission.

He was hooked up to the IV, and was only a half an hour into the treatment, when the side effect happened. I was sitting beside him on the bed, flipping through the television channels trying to find something interesting, but it was useless.

"I wish this thing had on Demand," I muttered, turning it off and putting the remote on the nightstand.

"Only two hours to go, and then I'll be done and won't have to come back for another three weeks."

"That's true, but you heard the nurse and your doctor. They said since it's much stronger this time, that for the whole three weeks your body will be fighting to get rid of all the cancer cells," I reminded him.

"Eh, they just want to make us think it's some miracle drug, when in reality, I'm handling it just fine," he bragged, grinning and folding his arms across his chest.

"Don't jinx yourself," I warned him, walking to the wall and picking up a bucket.

"How hilarious you are, adorable girlfriend of mine," Alex said, patting me on the back when I sat beside him.

"I'm being serious," I told him, gesturing to the bucket that I shoved onto his lap.

"I don't need this," he stated, looking at me like I was crazy.

"It's only been like a half an hour," I again warned him. "And you're starting to look a little pale."

"Well you must be seeing things, babe. And besides, it's the winter so being white is--" And he stopped, looking much more pale in the face.

"Is what?" I asked him, touching his arm until he shrugged me away.

"Normal," he finished, throwing up into the bucket.

"Told you," I whispered, quickly getting up and grabbing him a tissue for when he was finished.

I sat back down next to him and finally, he stopped. "This is so disgusting," he said, smiling, but then beginning to vomit in the bucket again.

"Eh, it doesn't look so bad," I joked, covering my mouth and holding back a laugh.

For a few seconds he stopped again, but then he saw me lick my lips and he started all over.

"I can tell what you had for breakfast this morning," I said, laughing at the dirty look he gave me.

"You're nasty!" he choked out.

"Coco puffs, hmm," I sighed, him shaking his head, but not throwing up any longer. "How long ago did you eat them? They look very appetizing. Mind if I try some?" And then he shook his head and threw up once more, then putting the bucket on the floor next to him.

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?" he asked me, taking the tissue from my hand and wiping his mouth.

"Of course not," I denied, laughing hysterically.