Chapter 45

Chapter 45

"Everyone should probably take a seat," the doctor cautiously said.

So we did. I was still sitting on the bed next to Alex, while Stephanie sat on the opposite side, and Darlene and their mother sat anxiously in the chairs.

"What's the matter?" Nancy nervously spoke up, covering her mouth with her hand afterward.

He leaned casually against the wall and looked down at the tiled floor. "I'm going to be very honest with you all," he answered, staring Alex in the eyes.

"I would hope so," he muttered, while I thumped my shoulder against his. He looked down at my 'stop being rude' face and slightly grinned.

"This is not a joke, Alexander," Nancy said, glaring at the both of us.

"But I'm fine. I know I am," Alex shrugged, as the doctor stepped forward.

"Actually, son, I have very bad and devastating news," he announced, as we all anxiously waited.

"Shit," I heard Darlene whisper.

"Well, what is it?" Stephanie spoke up, as I tightly took hold of Alex's hand.

"Alexander's bloodstream is entirely filled with cancer cells," he finally told us, as we all tried to remain calm. "With the progression the leukemia has made, I'm afraid there is no way to begin chemotherapy. At this point, I believe it much too late. I'm sorry, but you only have days to live."

"What?" I nearly shouted, about to stand up until Alex held me back.

"I'm terribly sorry," the doctor carefully said.

"But, when is the last time you tested it?" Alex demanded, sounding really frustrated.

"Of your blood? Yesterday we had to take a small sample," he frowned, crossing his arms. "Are you questioning my abilities?"

"Are you an oncologist?" he asked, as the room filled with silence.

"No," the doctor answered.

"Alright, then here's what I would like to do. Would you be able to transport me over to Dana Farber, since I'm dying of cancer?" he quietly mumbled, rolling his eyes.

A few seconds passed by. "Of course, if that's what you wish," he replied, shaking Nancy's hand and saying he was sorry.

After he left the room is when Alexander laughed. "Mom, he's crazy. Don't listen to him," he warned her.

"But he checked your blood, Al. They found leukemia cells all over the place, right?" Nancy carefully pointed out.

"Yeah, I guess, but that was yesterday," he grinned, shaking his head. "I know how I feel. I feel normal. I feel healthy again."

"Oh stop it," she winced, letting out a deep breath.

"Mom," Stephanie spoke up loudly. "He woke up out of the coma today, not yesterday."

"She's right," Darlene added in.

"We'll have Dr. Carter do a blood check when we get there," he explained, pressing the button on the side of the bed. "I need a nurse pronto, to remove this stupid uncalled-for IV."

I softly laughed. I couldn't help it. He looked amazing, his hair almost as long as it was before, and his bright blue eyes shining from the sunset through the window. "Alex, calm down."

He smiled. "I am."

"So even though this doctor told us your blood is full of cancerous cells, you're telling us that in just a simple day the results could have changed?" Stephanie suddenly asked him.