Chapter 43

Chapter 43

The bone marrow transplant was a big success. My birthday came after Alexander was discharged from the hospital, and I turned eighteen years old, and it was perfect. Three whole months went by, and when April came was when Alex had to go to the hospital to get his blood checked. It came back clean, and Dr. Carter was happy to tell us that he had so far made a full recovery. Another month passed by, and at the beginning of May we took a trip to the doctors again just to make sure he was still free of leukemia cancer cells. I am happy to say that the bone marrow I had donated to Alexander went amazing, and had kept my boyfriend in a steady and stable remission. Everyone couldn't be happier.

Alex had grown most of his hair back, which gave him so much happiness that it made my life almost complete. Jake and him had spent a majority of their time working out, mostly because of football, so us girls spent a lot of time together. It was almost summer, and Manchester High's big final football game against the Bucks was just around the corner.

Bottom line, is that all of our lives were perfect. Almost too perfect.

We were all at the beach, Stephanie Darlene and Jake with us, when we held hands and walked down the shore by ourselves. "It's so beautiful outside," I told him, quietly.

"Yeah it is," he agreed.

"I honestly just can't wait til the summer."

I glanced over at him and caught him frowning. "Yeah..." he said, not walking any further.

"Are you alright?" I asked him, not liking the confusion on his face.

He stayed quiet, and then nodded quickly. "Yeah," he answered, shrugging.

"Are you sure? It looked like something was bothering you."

"Nope."

And he continued to walk until I grabbed his hand and pulled him to a stop. "Alex," I sighed.

"I just got a little light headed," he told me, making it seem like it was nothing.

"Why?"

"Because it's really hot outside," he answered.

But it didn't make sense. "I'm not dizzy..." And I looked back and saw Stephanie and Darlene throwing sand at each other, so they obviously weren't lightheaded either.

"I did a lot of working out at football practice today," he said, grinning and pulling me into his arms. "No big deal."

"Maybe you're sick," I tightly hugged him. "You could be getting a cold or something."

"Yeah," he smiled, suddenly holding me closer. "That's true."

"Maybe you should skip the game tonight," I suggested, as he laughed and stepped away.

"Rosie that is crazy. I want to get a scholarship," he told me, quickly kissing me.

"But if you don't feel good then why would you risk it and do all that running and everything?" I asked, as he leaned down to kiss me once more.

"Because it's against the Bucks, our enemy. I can't let the team down. We have to kick some ass," he said, beginning to keep on walking down the shore.

"You seem a little bit different," I let out, as he slowly turned to face me.

"How?" he asked me, softly.

"For the past week it seems like something's been on your mind."

He shook his head. "I'm just pumped for this big game," he told me, half smiling, his dimples appearing.