Chapter 42

Chapter 42

I stepped outside, closing the door silently behind me. I leaned my back against the wall, sliding down until I was sitting with my legs straight out in front of me. A few minutes passed by and then finally the door opened, and Dr. Carter stepped in front of me offering me his hand.

I didn't take it. "No thanks," I refused.

"No?" he asked, really confused.

"That's right. You're just going to let him die, aren't you?"

"Rosalie," he said under his breath.

"Don't even give me that. You're going to just give up on him?"

"It's not like that."

"Yeah it is. That's exactly what's going on here. You're done trying to save him."

"Excuse me," he said, sitting down next to me on the hospital floor.

"You don't have to explain anything to me. I know that you're done."

"Done?"

"You don't want to help him anymore."

"Yes I do," he told me, staring me in the eyes. "Alexander is a very good kid, who I've known for a pretty long time now. I would never stop trying to get him cured. He's one of my favorite patients."

"Well you're not in love with him," I said quietly. "Being in love with someone who's sick is harder then you might think."

"Actually, I know exactly what you're going through."

"No you don't," I snarled, crossing my arms and looking the other way until I saw that his face cringed.

"My wife of twenty-four years passed away five years ago," he began, making me regret everything I said to him.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I frowned, deeply meaning it. "I didn't know."

"It's alright, Rose. I just know what you're going through, believe me. She had a brain tumor," he told me.

"Oh, oh my god," I shuddered. "I'm sorry."

"Please, do not be sorry. God has very big plans for all of us," he explained.

"What do you mean?"

"I believe in my heart that my wife died for a reason. A magical reason that I have not quite figured out yet," he paused, touching my arm and smiling.

"I guess a doctor's touch really does make you feel better," I smiled back.

"Yes indeed," he chuckled. "I just want you to know that you're not the only one who loves someone who is dealing with cancer."

"Thanks," I said. "It makes me feel a lot better."

"That's exactly why I told you. My wife is waiting for me," he smiled peacefully.

"That's a nice way to think of it," I whispered, still having tears silently slide down my cheeks.

"Yes, and there are groups for teenagers who have lost a friend, or even boyfriend, to cancer, you know."

"There are?"

"Yes there are."

"But I didn't lose him yet," I mumbled, seeing the strange but yet happy look on his face. "Doctor," I exhaled slowly.

"Yes?"

"Is Alex going to be okay?" I whispered, with so much pain that my heart hurt.

And thankfully, he smiled. "Rosalie, Alexander is very anemic as of right now. Do you have any idea of what that is?"