Chapter 40

Chapter 40

A few months passed by, and almost everything was going perfect. It was Christmas break, and we were getting so much snow that there were severe blizzard warnings. Alexander called me one morning and told me to pack my bags, and that his sisters and I were going to go on a vacation. We drove up to Maine where their log cabin was, and decided that we were going to spend a few nights to get away from home.

It was located on a small mountain, and once we got inside I couldn't believe how adorable it was. Everything looked so different, the entire house was made out of wood, and there was a huge fireplace that was in charge of keeping it heated. We went snow boarding, skiing, and even tubing. The entire time it was just a blast.

On the last night of staying there, we were all sitting near the fire drinking hot chocolate, when we realized it was around eleven o'clock. Stephanie and Darlene decided they were going to go to bed, so they left the living room so we could be alone with each other.

We were both sitting on the floor in our pajamas when Alexander stood up and smiled.

"What?" I asked him.

"I want to show you something," he told me, as I sat on the couch.

"Alright. What is it?"

He sighed. "I almost forgot that I've always kept something here, probably because I never wanted to look through it again," he explained, staring down at the wooden floor.

"Okay, well then what is it?"

"I'll be right back," he answered, walking out of the room as I sat cautiously in absolute silence.

Once he came back into my view, he sat beside me and put a small album on the table in front of us. "Is that from here?" I softly asked.

He looked at me and nodded.

"What's inside of it?"

He swallowed. "Pictures," he whispered, opening to the front page. "Of when I was younger."

"How young?"

"Before Stephanie and I were adopted," Alex said, my heart going faster.

There was a picture of two beautiful little kids, younger than five years old, and they were hugging each other. "At the orphanage?"

"Yeah. There was this lady there, I really remember her, because of how nice she was to us. This is Stephanie and this is me," he pointed to the photo.

"Aw," I smiled, as he flipped the page to one which was a close up. Of course his eyes were sky blue, the most unique color in the entire world. "You were so cute."

"Were?" he grinned, laughing as I looked at the next picture.

"Who's that lady?" I asked, looking over to see him smiling.

"That's her. I think her name was Liz. She was the one who had me taken to the doctor," he said, his smile fading almost completely.

"What do you mean?" I quietly asked.

"I wasn't eating, I was getting really skinny, and I was always sleeping," he told me. "She noticed some bruising on my arms, which was a sign for early leukemia."

"So you went to the doctors and that's when they took all those tests on you, and found out that you had cancer," I guessed, him slowly nodding, as I took his hand.