Chapter 22

Alexander only stayed about thirty minutes that night, but it felt so much longer. We sat outside on the grass, our backs against my house, and looked up at the sky, silently staring up at it as it turned into night. He walked home and I crawled into bed, loving how he gave me his sweater. It was so comfortable and it smelled so good. I breathed in his scent, and listened to the wind as it blew into my room every now and then. The lights were off, but the moon was creating a nightlight in a way, which made me feel so at home, and so at peace.

I slept well that night. When I opened my eyes in the morning, something was different. My house was quiet, I didn't hear anyone, not even Jimmy, and I also noticed the lighting wasn't the same. Through the blinds was bright as could be, but when I jumped up to look out my window I noticed a rather cloudy setting. It wasn't sunny like it had been the past few days, and I didn't like it this way. When I opened my window I pushed the screen out and laid it against the side of my house. I stuck my head outside to see what the temperature was like. It was very windy, as if a brutal storm was coming.

I looked onto the grass and examined every detail to see if the rain would begin soon. With my luck it would start pouring down while my head was out the window. I then felt a drop of wetness that slid down my cheek, and it wasn't a tear. The grass started to move as if every strand of it was dancing all over the place. Soon enough the rain began and I decided to take a hot shower.

I wore jeans and Alexander's black hoodie, with my red high tops. I found my mother in her room and asked her to straighten my hair for me, so she did, but it didn't work that well. I called Alex when I was in the kitchen and he told me to come over in ten minutes.

Jake agreed to looking after Jimmy, while my mother and I got in the car and I lead her to his house. She parked in front of the sidewalk and I was about to get out until I decided I wanted to talk to her really quick.

"Mom, I'm kind of nervous," I admitted, my voice quiet and shaky.

"Of course you are. You're only human. You like this boy and he wants you to go with him to the hospital, soon he might just ask you out."

"He did ask me out," I laughed. "I said yeah. We're official."

"I'm so happy honey. Just be brave, hold his hand and stay with him," she instructed. "Alright?"

"Yeah, thanks mom," I said, leaning over to hug her.

"You're welcome," she showed me her loving smile.

I hopped out of the car and stopped, turning to face her once again before I closed the door. "What if he throws up in front of me?"

She couldn't answer me at first. "Get him a tissue," she said, trying to keep up my spirits, even though I was a nervous wreck.

"Great advice," I mumbled, closing the door and walking to his front door.

I took a deep breath and then rang the doorbell, holding my breath, and hoping he wouldn't notice how terrified I was for him. I knew the day would come where I would watch him get his treatment, but I didn't think the day would come this soon.

"Hey," Alexander said, after opening the door with a smile.

"Hi," I smiled back, trying to make it look real. I was so nervous.

"How are you?" he asked me.

"Peachy. How about you?" I asked, him looking over my shoulder and waving to my mother.

"Good luck!" she shouted, waving as she drove down the road.

"Thanks," he muttered, his jaw tightening. "Are you ready for today?"