Chapter 15

Happy, happy. I was so, extremely, happy, that I wanted to cry. I never thought I would be able to smile again, but as I was smiling now. At this very moment, I knew everything was going to be okay, and I also knew how much Alexander meant to me. I loved every second I spent with him. He was always so inspiring, never letting a smile leave his face. He was my hero. He was my best friend. And he was so much more...

"Who's that?" Alex asked, making all of the thoughts clear out of my head. My little brother came slowly towards us and looked very shy.

"Jimmy," I said, him wrapping his arms around my waist and staring me in the eyes. "What's up buddy?"

He didn't say anything. He just looked over at Alex and stayed quiet.

"Sorry, he's really shy," I explained to him, holding my little brother's hand as he stayed on mute. "He doesn't talk to anyone but my family."

He knelt down on his knees so he could be his height and he put his hat on Jim's head. "Hey kid, what's up?"

I was surprised to see my brother giggle and pull the hat over his face. "Hi!" he shouted into it.

"How are you doing?" he asked him, taking his arm and taking the hat to put it back on his head. "It's a little too big for you, huh?" he chuckled.

Jimmy laughed and jumped forward and hugged him, while my mouth dropped wide open in shock. I couldn't believe how much he trusted Alex. He actually was talking to him. "Play cars with me? Toys?" he asked, not letting go of his neck.

"Oh my god," I whispered, seeing Alexander look up at me while hugging him back, already, only after meeting him for the first time.

"Yeah, I'll play cars with you. Go get your toys ready," he said, holding his chin, looking him directly in the eyes so Jimmy would understand what he was saying.

"Okay! Yay," And he turned and ran in the opposite direction.

Alexander stood up and my mouth was still hanging wide open. "What?" he asked, looking confused.

"How did you just do that?" I asked, sounding more like a demand.

"What do you mean?"

"He never gets that close to anyone," I told him carefully. "Ever. How were you so good with him?"

He shrugged. "I don't have any idea. I guess I'm just good with kids who have autism."

"Are you sure? Because he has never done that before."

"I'm sure," he pressed.

"Alright," I sighed, smiling. "I guess you're just perfect then."

He laughed. "I'm not perfect," he objected.

"Yeah, you kind of are."

About an hour went by, too fast for me to handle, while we sat in the living room with Jimmy. Alex sat on the ground and watched him play with his little toy cars. He looked a little sad. I think it was because he saw how much into another world he was, staring at nothing but the cars with his eyes wide opened, along with his mouth.

I sat on the couch and watched an episode of 'That 70's Show' on demand. Jake came home and looked really surprised when he walked into the room and found Alexander sitting in our home. He said hi and made his way to the basement, and he wreaked of marijuana.

My mom had the radio on and cooked her famous tomato sauce. Dinner was ready and we all sat at the kitchen table, including Jake, which was kind of unusual. I liked it though. It was fun. There was really not a lot to talk about, so after we were done everyone put their dishes in the sink and he thanked my mother and told her how delicious it was. She of course started blushing, from receiving a compliment she hasn't heard from anybody in years. I felt a little bad that I never told her how great a cook she was. Alex's cellphone rang at around 7 o'clock. It was already dark outside when I glanced out the window.