xix

They both stood in front of the big house in awe, after some treacherous hours of roaming about and thoughts of giving up, they finally made it to their destination.

"Finally, Alhamdulillah" khadija gave a sigh.

"Yes Alhamdulillah" her mother answered.

They made their way forward to the gate where they knock a several times before the gateman open the gate a little popping his  head through.

"How can I help you" he asked his face stern.

"Uhm, we're here to visit my sister" khadija meekly replied.

"Who's your sister in this house" he asked with a bit of attitude.

"Maryam" mama replied.

"Oh, the madam of the house"

"Yeah" they answer in unison.

"Did she knew you were coming?"

"No, but.....

"If she didn't know then am sorry I can't let you in"

"Please, she's my daughter I need to see her"

"Look ma'am am just doing my job, sorry I can't let you in"

"Please, if you could just tell her"

"Am sorry" he replied in a clipped tone closing the door.

"What's the matter with rich folks" khadija asked feeling upset.

"I knew it wasn't a good idea coming to this place" her mum replied.

"Mama we can't just give up we've come a long way, there has to be something we can do"

"There's literally nothing, remember we don't have her phone number even if she does have a phone"

"I doubt she has, because she would've called us right......what kind of life is she living" khadija mumbled.

They waited for hours beside the shed of a tree hoping for some kind of miracle that will give a them a  chance to get in.

"Mama I think we should just go" khadija sighed.

"I know you're tired dear, but just a little longer please, I haven't seen or hear from her for like seven months, I need to know how's she"

"Ok, but mama am hungry the water we bought won't last to suffice my hunger"

"I know, 30 more minutes, if we were still can't get in,we just go ok?"

"Ok"

And as of on cue a sleek black BMW 2020 model drives to the gate and khadija quickly stood up.

The driver made a honk and the gates rustles to open by the discourteous gateman.

Before she could approach whoever was in the tinted car, it drove in not giving her a chance.

"Just tell her she has guests" she tried again with the gateman"

"So you're still here" he mocked "why is it that you poor fellas like niggling to the rich" he mumbled.

"Excuse me" khadija asked surprised by the insult.

"Khadija I think we should just go, the insults are enough" her mum glared at the gateman.

"Who the hell do you think you are" he was taken aback "you're no better than me if not worse, you're just a rude man serving the rich like the good servant you should be, you're nothing but a gateman who can be replaced at any time and you don't have the value that you think you have......constantly standing at the door opening and closing the gate running errands and whatnot, that's all you're ever good for" she barked at him.