xi

Today she woke up early in the morning to make breakfast for her husband.

Yesterday she has learn a bit details of her new home,and thus she can make her way to the kitchen by herself.

And there she met aunty hafsah as she calls her from now on.

The older woman acknowledged her presence with the morning greetings.

"Uhmm i just wanted to ask you something......" Hafsah motioned for her to continue "what does Za'afar like to have for breakfast"

Hafsah smiled seeing the effort maryam was making to please him.

"He usually skip breakfast, but some days he will have some fruits before going"

"OK, which fruit does he have?"

"An apple will do"

Maryam nodded and proceed to the fridge, she picked two apples which differ in colour because she thought it will make it a little eye catching, the mix of green and red.

She carefully diced them taking her time to make them looked perfect.

Examining her work for the last time she asked hafsah if that was all.

"Forget to mention dear, and some black coffee" hafsah added .

With the help of the older woman maryam was able to put forward a breakfast for her husband.

"When does he come down" maryam asked munching on some grapes.

"It depends, why don't you go and check on him" hafsah replied with a smile.

"I......I don't think he will appreciate that" she mumbled recalling the events of last night.

"Nonsense, why won't he, he's your husband, off course he will"

"I don't know" she shrugged.

"Go on dear, before you're late, go fetch him" hafsah insisted.

Maryam reluctantly agreed and head for his room only to come back seconds later, she didn't know which one.

Hafsah escorted her and left the frightened girl all alone.

She took a deep breath and raised her hand to knock but keep it back down again, she repeated the same sequence three more times before she finally gained the courage and knock.

As he cuff his links he didn't miss the soft knock on his door.

"Come in" he gruffly answered thinking it was hafsah.

"Assalmu alaikum" a not so familiar voice answered.

He need not to turn for he knows who it is.

"What is it" he asked without acknowledging her as he turn to get his coat.

"Uhm....I.....i.....

He pinched the bridge of his nose irritated

"Damn it woman, just talk will you?" he shouted irritated.

He hated it when she stammer.

Scared by his outburst she quickly drop the bowl of fruits on the near by table.

"I brought you breakfast" she meekly replied trying to hold back her tears.

He gave her a funny look, but she still has her head looking down

"Hey" he called just when she made it out of the door ready to close it "take your scrap with you am not going to eat this filth" he seethed.

A sharp pain hit her hard in her chest that she almost staggered backwards, this is so rude, all her effort has gone to complete waste.