xxxiii

Hajiya sa'adatu sip her green tea as she flip the fashion magazine.

She has decided to accept the harsh reality of her life, long gone the thought of being swept off her feet by a prince in shining armor, she has quit wanting to be the damsel in distress, if this is what's to become of her life so be it.

It's better than to continue sinking in the hollow pit of hope that's certainly empty and void of anything.

"Assalamu alaikum" raising her head she met the face of her golden son.

"Uzair" she smiled

"Mama" he smiled back sitting at her feet.

"Is something wrong?" she asked seeing the solemn look on his face.

She's been keeping a good eye on him after the accident.

"Just a bit of headache, nothing serious" he dismissed.

"Come here" she gestured moving his head to her lap as she soothes his head.

He allowed her closing his eyes in the process.

It's this side of his mother that reminds him he's still loved.

"Have you talked with zainab" she asked.

"Not yet, Since her visit to the hospital"

He replied thinking about the previous days she's been acting weird he wondered what's it.

"You need to, because we have to set the date for your wedding,and fast"

He was quite for a bit reminiscing the beautiful moments he had with khadija back at the hospital, precious moments he holds dear to his heart, during which his mother might be off to some task or maybe a visit home to get her clothes changed and in the process he also has to bribe khairat whom his mother will left in charge before her return.

Bribing khairat was easy, just a couple naira notes and she's good to go.

For the first time his siblings acted like he really is their brother of the same blood, and to that he's glad.

"Uzair"

"Hhm" he answered

"You will talk to her right" she asked again.

"Ok" he replied getting off her lap as he stood up.

"Where to?" She asked with a raised brow.

"Daki" he replied already on his way.

"Ok" she answered unsure of what really made him to act this way.

Was it because of zainab, she thought

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The house was empty just the shuffling of the two individuals setting the house together.

"She's going to come around, don't worry anti hafsah assured a gloomy maryam.

Maryam sighed arranging the cuttleries

"She's really upset fa" she grunted.

"It's not easy for a mother to see her daughter in distress and she can't help or for the daughter to ruse her help" anti hafsa emphasized.

"You too?"

"Just saying anti hafsah shrugged "really, why do you choose to stay, Za'afar has no regard for you"

Maryam winced at the bitter truth

"Let's face it Maryam, this guy is never coming around, so why won't you just walk away" anti hafsa half yelled