viii

Maryam's POV

To say I was petrified is an understatement.

Am so confused as to why Baba need to see me urgently.

I swallowed the anxiety bubbling inside me before I knock with a Bismillah.

I was surprised when it was answered immediately, as the double doors swing open, I was met with the man himself.

"Come in" he quickly ushered taking a sit.

As always I was seated on the carpeted floor.

"At long last....." He started "I have found you a suitor"

My mind was muted for a minute, blank, empty as I ever so slowly raised my eyes to meet his, mine filled with fear, his filled with nonchalance, he doesn't care.

"Am talking to you" he slightly barked annoyed at my lack of response.

"Baba.......

I tried weakly, maybe he could change his mind, I wished.

"I have set the date, and that's final, I only called to let you know about it not to have a say in the matter" he spitted.

"You're getting married, together with your sister Rahama" my eyes widen like saucers filled with horror, but he didn't seem the least faze  "I don't want to waste more time on this, you've already been home for so long, it's only an honour to you, you should be happy someone considered to marry you" he finished as he ascended upstairs without looking back.

My eyes become blurry as my body racked with sobs, I wiped them away but they seem to never stop.

Absentmindedly, I made my way outside as my feet took me to my destination.

Khadija was the first one to spot me, and she dropped the plate she was washing, wiping her foamy hands on her wrapper giving me a worried look.

She noticed my distraught state and quickly engulf me in a hug, I wailed and sobbed on her shoulder, and yaya Rahama and mama came to the scene with worried faces .

"Me ya faru" mama asked, worry evidence in her tone.

"Ma...ma......mama" I hiccuped going in to her arms.

She took me to the mat sprayed in the compound.

I lean into her the more as I continue to cry.

The scene replayed exactly in my mind as the other day, when he said he will be the one to choose my husband, indeed he did.

I don't know for how long i cried, the compound was quite as the only sound heard were my ragged breaths and hiccups.

"Ko zaki dan huta" mama suggested.

I shake my head meaning no.

She wants me to rest before spilling everything out, but it's better I do it now and get over with it.

"Mama" I choked.

She gave me her undivided attention patiently waiting for me to continue.

"He's getting me married too, he has found a suitor for me and it will be done together with yaya Rahama's" I replied the words sounding bitter in my mouth.

Kahdija gasped in surprise and mama's eyes widen.

"What!!..." Mama shrieked breathing heavily "he can't do that, Rahama's marriage is in 5 days, he has gone too far this time" she seethed.

"I have to talk to him" she replied standing up.

"Mama, no" yaya Rahama reached for her bit she snatched away her arm.