vii

Maryam's POV

Yaya Rahama's marriage is around the corner.

Alhaji Auwal was very considerate that without her asking he has given yaya Rahama some money to start the preparations from her own side, for every bride has to look her best.

A total of nine boxes (lefe) were brought day before yesterday,although it wasn't necessary for a widow, but he's willing to.

Baba was to take care of the kitchenwares, furniture's and the rest, Alhaji Auwal has insisted, but Baba felt degraded of his worth and status if he let him do it, so he refused.

Least to say, yaya Rahama will be a married woman soon.

Feeling my feet on the bare ground made me halt, my very old slipper has cut.

I ahold a very good news to tell Mama, but this will waste my time.

I was on my way home from the saloon around the corner, after so many fail attempts, I get to work as a hair braider in the saloon.

I know how to braid since forever, but I become a skilled professional a while back, and I decide to pursue my braiding career, if you even pursue a braiding career......there was no vacancy for a while, but right now I got the job after a few interviews with the owner and work examples I was hired.

"Ya Allah" I groaned.

With no money to buy a new one, my only choice was to tie the notch with an empty sachet of water.

Haven done that, I continue my way home with gentle steps to prevent another breakage.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Mama was elated at the good news, I smile happy that I made her proud.

"Hurry up the water is already boiling" yaya Rahama spoke.

Me and khadija were picking out the rice hulls .

We're having rice and beans for dinner.

Done with the picking, khadija washed the rice and pour it inside the pot.

"Did you know who Baba's Guest was today" yaya Rahama asked.

"No, why?" I asked.

"Nothing, but Baba just seem happy today after his visit" she shrugged.

"Where did you even see him" khadija asked.

"I came back from the saloon early today, and we crossed paths , while I greeted him he answered wholeheartedly with a smile, which he never ever did.....like never ever" yaya Rahama explained.

"Toh Allah dai ya kyauta" I signed

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The spacious living room feel extremely small with the two figures excruciating power.

They exchange casual pleasantries with a tensioned filled atmosphere, one knowing the reason of it and the other oblivious to the situation.

"I have come with a marriage proposal" kawu lawan get straight to the point

"A marriage proposal? For whom" Alhaji Ummaru asked surprised.

"For your daughter, Rahama" he replied with a calculated look to his late brother's best friend.

"Rahama is getting married in the next few days"

"Yeah I know"

"Then why have you come?" alhaji ummaru asked confused.