Chapter Eleven

News about today's incident spread through the school like wildfire. For Italian class, we had a substitute that told us about his experience during World War II.

"So what was it like?" I asked, knowing the response would be something horrific.

"Blood everywhere, people you loved dying.. It was nice." he said with obvious sarcasm.

By the time it was lunch period, the only conversation was about today.

"Dude, did you guys hear about what happened today?!" asked Garrett.

"Yes." I said for the millionth time, "That's all everyone is talking about."

"I heard Armstrong beat the shit out of Romano." said Angie with a chuckle.

"Yeah, and that Mr. Romano has a broken nose."

"Who said that?"

"Some freshmen girl, everyone knows she likes Mr. Armstrong."

"It's a lie." I said with the shake of my head, "I was there."

"You WHAT?!" yelled Guadalupe, blushing when people from other tables looked at her, "What happened? Who won? Weretheyverysexytuggingateachother?"

"I didn't exactly hear what they were arguing about." I lied, "But Mr. Romano won and I'm not attracted to any of them."

Guadalupe didn't seem satisfied, instead, she got up from next to Garrett and sat next to me.

"Why were you there? I heard it was early." she said suspiciously.

"I was handing in homework that I missed yesterday." I said with ease, "I didn't want it to be late and I planned on begging."

"Oh? But why there?"

"Guadalupe." I said narrowing my eyes, "Why are you asking me these questions?"

"Ah, I just want to know what happened from a primary source." she said with a shrug.

"Guys, don't tell anyone I was there. I don't want people bombarding me with repetitive questions."

"But of all places." said Garrett with a questioning look on his face, "And Mr. Armstrong was there?"

"Not you too Garrett..." I mumbled 100% annoyed, "What's the point of telling you guys things if all you'll do is try to contradict it?"

"Were to called to get questioned yet?" asked Angie.

"No."

"Did any of them say your name?"

"I'm not sure." I replied, "Where's the twins?"

"They had to go to the main office." said Angie, "They have a lot of work to catch up on, so they won't be here this lunch period."

"Aww..." I mumbled with a frown, "I talked to them yesterday. I like their tan."

"Right?" said Guadalupe, "It really suits them well. Hopefully we-"

Guadalupe paused and stared ahead of her. The cafeteria got silent and I raised an eyebrow. Turning around, I saw Mr. Romano staring directly at me.

"Suzy." he said suavely, "The principal wants to talk to you."

Shit, I knew this would happen. I shut my eyes tight and sighed. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked at Guadalupe.

"Just say the truth." said Angie.

I looked back at Mr. Romano's grim expression. His eyes held a deep sorrow and his mouth was in a tight straight line. He looked away from me and I got up.