Chapter Twenty-One

Before I could finish, he grabbed my face and looked into my eyes.

"I always question myself." he muttered, "I don't understand why I am attracted to you. I said this before, but it's killing me inside. I'm not sure what exactly I should do with you."

"Miguel..."

"And when you say my name, I don't know why, but it's like I become a little excited. No matter how much you piss me off, it's just something about you."

"Then you sh-"

"Kiss you? I want to, but I can't."

Miguel let go of my face and sighed. He then slid his hands into my pockets and took them out. I gave him a questioning look, but he only looked away.

"Had I known I would have students like you, I wouldn't have become a teacher in the first place. Don't you think it troubles me that I'm in love with a student? Someone I'm ten years older than? Doesn't it scare you even the tiniest bit about our age difference?"

"It doesn't scare me." I whispered, "I mean, it used to, but it doesn't anymore."

"Doesn't it bother you that I've had sex with more women than your age?"

"No."

"I would talk more, but the marking period ends tomorrow and I have a lot to grade, I'm sorry."

"Wait, how is your brother?"

"He's okay, now leave, please."

I sighed and nodded. He gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze and walked to his desk. I walked out of his room thinking about what he said. Did he mean that? Does he... think I'm that attractive? 

'Attention all teachers!' I heard over the intercom, 'Tomorrow is the end of the marking period. Please submit your grades by 11:59 PM tomorrow! Also, students! There will be auditions in two weeks for Les Misérables! Have a great Thanksgiving and stay safe, everyone!' 

I'm not really in the mood to eat. I guess Marcus cheating on me still effects me. I mindlessly walked around the school. I popped one of the ibuprofen into my mouth and swallowed it. I walked past Marcus's classroom and felt a pang in my heart. A pang in my heart and a lump in my throat?

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, my back hitting his door, "I shouldn't have done that. I... I went too far. But you shouldn't have cheated on me... Is this the regret part? Is this where I actually want you but hate you so much...? Why would you cheat on me?"

My voice cracked and I sniffed.

"Do you need a hug?"

I flinched and looked beside me to see Cole. His arms were open and his eyes held sadness. Sniffing, I nodded and he hugged me.

"It's okay..." he whispered, "It's going to be fine, he's doing okay in the hospital."

"Did you hear everything?" I sobbed.

"Yes, but you know you can keep anything with me."

"I know... I'm sorry I never told you."

"It's okay, I just wish you'd trust me more."

He unclasped his arms and gave me a small smile.

"You shouldn't miss someone who cheated on you."

"I'm the reason why he has those burns." I whispered and shook my head, "I'm the reason why he's hurt."

"He deserves it." spat Cole, "You shouldn't be so forgiving."

"You're right." I said a sigh and glanced at his door, "You're very right."