26: jealous

Once we made our grand entrance I moved straight to find a waiter and nicked two champagne glasses off his tray before quickly throwing the fizzy liquid down. 

Sarah was soon by my side and we were walking on the porch, I smiled and waved seeing Topper near the doors with a smile.

"Hey girls" Topper smiled before lightly grabbing Sarah's arm getting her attention as she was looking down at her feet. "You both look beautiful"

"Thank you Top" I smiled keeping my glass clutched in my hand and taking small sips.

Topper turned to Sarah and tried to grab her attention but she stayed avoiding his glance. "Hey. Hey, Sarah. Hey. I waited on you. You said you wanted to walk in together" he said grabbing Sarah's hand as she looked elsewhere.

"Yeah, well, I came with my parents," she said bluntly. The awkwardness of their conversation made me extremely uncomfortable.

"Can we talk for a sec?" Topper said slightly tugging her away. He gave me an apologetic smile before they walked off together and I finished the rest of my drink. 

I wanted something stronger than champagne so I walked to the bar and ordered a long island iced tea, because of the family name I was served instantly not that I was complaining.

I took my drink with me and walked back to the verandah where I stood on the edge of the railing watching the beautiful sunset overtaking the horizon. The sky was a mix of orange and pink and the weather was perfect, it was the perfect scene for the party.

I turned around to lean on the picket railing right as I saw a brunette walking toward me.

"Amy" I smiled once she'd approached me.

"It's so nice to see a familiar face" she gushed.

"It's good to see you again" I smiled "I love your dress by the way," I said looking down at her silk pale pink dress.

"Thanks, I love yours too the corset detailing is stunning" Amy smiled before grabbing glasses off a waiter's tray as he passed by. I thanked her when she handed me the glass and finished the entire drink in a few gulps.

"So are you from around here?" I asked her as she came to stand beside me looking at the groups of people dancing around and mingling. I could always use another friend so what was the harm in getting to know her, if she could tolerate Rafe's mood swings we must be alike.

"No actually I'm from a really small town in Virginia you wouldn't have heard of it, it's one of those towns you don't stop to look at, but my aunt lives here so here I am"

"Sounds like fun Outerbanks is a good place to spend summers" I nodded.

"Rafe mentioned how you've been away for a year".

"Yeah it's good to be back" I sweetly smiled. "boarding school was a bore and I'm glad to be home".

I turned to her seeing a middle-aged woman glancing at us and frantically waving her hands in the air, Amy turned to me with an apologetic smile  "I'm so sorry that's my aunt I guess she needs me".

"Oh go ahead. It was really great to see you" I smiled.

"You too Willow" Amy smiled and walked away leaving me alone once again, I decided I needed another drink so I walked around in search of alcohol, and that's exactly what I found. The kind waiter offered me a glass of champagne and who was I to turn it down.

The next thing I knew Sarah was dragging me towards the large crowd of people dancing, the sun had set and we were surrounded by fairy lights that made for a beautiful scene. I was happy dancing around with Sarah and Wheezie and threw my head back grabbing Sarah's hands and moving around to the band's music.