I:

Appleby Portland OregonPopulation: 8,964'A town known for growing its own delicious apples'

Appleby
Portland Oregon
Population: 8,964
'A town known for growing its own delicious apples'

I shouldn't have agreed to this; I should have tried to convince mom and dad that moving 2,119.1 miles away while their oldest child and only sons murder was being investigated right this moment...but that wasn't on their mind, they were just driving along the road, laughing and talking to one and other like he was away for college and would be coming back for thanksgiving in 2 months.

Two months, was all that had been. Sure, they were sad for a couple of weeks but it was more like they'd lost a job sadness more than their son walking through the woods to be shot in the head sadness; And then it went back to normal -because of course, the Grayson family couldn't be anything but perfect and happy all the time-

I wasn't listening to what they were saying, I hadn't even said a word to them since we got on the plane. I just stuck my AirPods in and listened to mine and George's favourite song:

'If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song
Oh-oh, oh-oh'

I hum away, tapping my hand against my leg and don't even notice my dad talking to me.

"Oh sweetheart, you're going to love Appleby. It's so small and it's just like that Tv show you like"

My dad looks up at the mirror to see me humming away, slightly disappointed that I wasn't listening to him but of course, he wouldn't say anything...but my mom on the other hand, turns and faces me.

"Cheryl, take those things out of your ears!"

She snaps, rudely taking me out of my trance. I mentally roll my eyes as if I were to do that physically, my poor neighbours wouldn't hear the end of it so I take them out and shove them in the charging pod.

"Your father was saying that you're gonna love Appleby because it's so small like that tv shows one that you love"

"Yeah...River dale, that's the one!"

My dad beams, chuckling and shaking his head. They continue their conversation while I glare at their heads. Mom and dad grew up here and had known one and other their whole lives, they were childhood sweethearts from high school and according to their friends, it was a given that they would marry and have kids of their own.

According to my uncle Ian, mom was incredibly popular back then: good grades, head cheerleader, kind, pretty, best fashion sense -almost everyone in the 90s had good fashion sense so that meant nothing to me- she was prom queen and had her picture on the wall at school as ambassador of the class of 1994, but my uncle Ian also said that she had always felt the need to be perfect at everything, that's why she tried so hard to get those things and obviously it grew with her into adulthood and fell onto me and George, but before his death, we were beyond close and like her, I couldn't be seen slacking when it came to my wardrobe so I always wore smart clothes, but since losing George, I didn't realise how exhausting she really was and I had lived in sweatpants, hoodies, no makeup and messy buns ever since, much to her anger and dismay. Even back home, the house had to be perfect, that's why she decided to be a stay at home mom, sadly she's now decided she's gonna apply to be president of the PTA at Appleby high.

Dad was chill, I guess. He was like mom just the guy version but he didn't feel the need to be perfect at everything so he was just my moms little lapdog in everything so that's why I tend to keep my distance away from him since losing George as well. I'll give him credit, he tries but I just stay away. And him being a lawyer and defending criminals kept him away a lot, I guess.

"At the end of the town, next to the woods, there's a beautiful lake, me, your father and all our friends used to go down there all the time during the summer-"

My mom starts. Since she announced the move, it's been like a permanent trip down memory lane.

"-obviously you wont be swimming in it due to germs but it's certainly a view during hot days"

She assures me, squeezing my dads thigh. I just hum and turn my attention to the view of the town from the outside of the window. It was just basic, a town full of stores, a retro diner -that looked awesome if I'm honest- a coffee lounge with a library in it. There was nothing interesting apart from the diner and maybe the coffee shop with the library.

"Mom, dad...when is George's body gonna be finished with the autopsy so that we can hold a real funeral for him?"

I blurt out. The tension in the room tightens even more.

"Cheryl-"

"No Audrey, she has a right to know"

He clears his throat as he turns down a street of clone-looking houses.

"We reckon around next week, and then we can bury him in the Appleby graveyard"

He smiles at me. I just nod and fiddle with my fingers, the very last few minutes of the car ride now silent. Lucky for me, all my stuff was already decorated the way I wanted it so that wouldn't be an issue and dad pulls up the the driveway of our house as my mom rushes out the door to grab her stuff.

"Cheryl sweetheart, would you stay a minute?"

My dad asks, turning to face me. I sigh but nod anyway.

"I just wanted to know how you're feeling after..."

He starts to signal with his hands what he's talking about without using words.

"Yeah...I don't care, it's too late to move back, are we done here?"

I tell him. He sighs and nods, before I step out of the car and to the trunk where my mother was throwing my suitcase out of the car.

"Take it straight to your room and hang it up"

She tells me and I nod.

"But wait..."

I stop and grit my teeth before turning around as she steps towards me, her heels clicking against the driveway.

"Cheryl. This attitude stops now! We've fell on tough times recently but you're to shake it off and get on with it!"

Wow! Stand on a girl while she's down, why don't you mommy dearest?

"From now on, no more hoodies, sweatpants or hair that makes you look like like a slob. You're going to make a good impression on your new classmates, alright?"

I suck my teeth but agree anyway and she sends me away and I trudge up the house to step into my new life.