II:

As I hang up the last of my clothes, I head back to my case and take out any decorative items and that's where I see it: the picture of me and George on my first day of kindergarten

As I hang up the last of my clothes, I head back to my case and take out any decorative items and that's where I see it: the picture of me and George on my first day of kindergarten. He was in that situation 5 years ago by that point so he was my advice giver; he looked so young and peaceful, his blonde hair gelled back, looking like a little preppy boy, and I, with my little blonde pigtails and little pink and white dress.

I smile innocently and grab the picture before laying on the bed, placing the picture on my heart.

"I miss you George. I could use your advice right now"

I mumble. I lay there for what seems like forever when a knock on the closed door interrupts me and I quickly place the picture on the side and grab my phone.

"Come in"

I grumble and the door opens, seeing my dads in his basic suit and a smile on his face.

"Hey, the place looks great...very homily"

He beams, eyes scanning the room. I ignore him and just scroll through my phone, not listening to him. I feel the bed sink in, telling me he's sat down.

"Oh my goodness, how cute is this?"

He coos, reaching for the picture and admiring it.

"Awhhh, your first day of kindergarten. It feels like so long ago. I remember the night before, your mom was pressing your clothes and was like 'she better not mess up her clothes' and of course when you came home, half your hair was down, your dress was muddy and it was just...it was funny"

He chuckles hilariously. I don't say anything and he just sighs. He pats my leg and stands up.

"Cheryl, I know you feel like me and your mom don't care, but I promise you...we care, we're struggling and I promise we love you and we're here for you"

I tighten my mouth but remain silent before he finally leaves the room. He was talking out of his ass! Him and mom felt the need to be perfect at everything even if that meant ignoring the fact their own son was murdered, I couldn't believe them.

My mental rant is interrupted by a message from the light of my life at the moment: Lorelei Benson, the best girl in the world.

We'd been friends for so long, since we were around for around 14 years, she was my family, I was hers, heck, her mom was like mine. We'd been joint at the hip for so long and to have then been ripped away from one and other, it was hard.

Missing you beyond words boo, I'll come and see you once you're settled in, love you!!

When we found out George was murdered, she was just as heartbroken; he was like her older brother and when I was back home, we comforted one and other.

Missing you like mad, I've been here two hours and I already hate it 🥺

I sigh and click my phone off, sucking my teeth as I wonder what to do next and I suddenly remembered: school in two days! I groan and throw my head back. This school was gonna be full of snotty nosed kids who's town is so small that they're going to be up in my business and so my plan: keep away from them all and focus on becoming a photographer.

I was interested in making friends, I had mine back home and I was gonna be in this stupid town for long before I go to college and never actually need to see them. I'll move back to Chicago and if my parents haven't driven me crazy, they can come to me.