VIII:

"So I had a talk with your mom, and she has allowed me to let you take these"

The school counsellor/nurse says, handing me a bottle of pills.

"Doxepin pills? What are these?"

I ask. She removes her glasses and leans forward.

"They help you with your sleep. Your mom told me that a couple of days ago, you woke up from a nightmare and you've struggled to sleep since, plus your teachers have been telling me for a while that you look tired in class and have been in the verge of falling asleep"

She tells me. I nod and shove the pills in my pocket before thanking her again and leave the office, heading straight for my locker to shove my books in there.

I mind my own business and ignore the footsteps from behind me when a figure walks past, grabs my ponytail in a twist and pulls me down to the ground. I look up to see Beatrice, for once, not in her cheer uniform. She smirks at me.

"Oops, sorry inbred, I didn't see you there"

She spits at me. Furious because of anger, I stand up again and kick my books out of the way.

"Back of Zhang, if you know what's good for you"

I snap at her. She just giggles at me and lightly pushes me back.

"Shut it bitch, or are you gonna get mommy on it?"

"Ooh using that one are we Beatrice?-"

A voice interrupts the confrontation. I look in front of me and see a girl wearing leggings and a Woolley sweater come forward.

"-because, I actually remember when you would go to your daddy about everything"

She says, standing right next to Beatrice, pretty much in her face. Beatrice narrows her eyes.

"Jealous that all my attentions going on the newbie, Bitch?"

She says and the girl just laughs before slamming her into the locker.

"You best get going, or there's gonna be worse coming to you"

She says, now fully serious. Beatrice looking confused, just walks away and the girls comes to stand next to me, arms crossed.

"That girl is the definition of devil, and one day something bad is gonna happen to her"

The girls says. I hum in agreement.

"Let's hope it happens fast"

The girl turns to face me and puts her hand out.

"Kora-Lee Butler"

I take her hand.

"Cheryl Grayson"

"Sorry but I know who you are, I think everyone does because you're considered-"

"Different? New? Not like everyone else in this town?"

I ask and she sighs nodding. I slam my locker shut.

"No offence but clearly nothing actually happens here because everyone is oddly obsessed with me"

I say as we start walking.

"Yeah, but it probably doesn't help that Beatrice keeps spreading rumours about you. Which I know aren't true by the way, I watched the news and your mom told my parents about your brother"

I smile. We talk some more and find out some more about one and other. Kora-lee had never been anywhere else in America apart from Philadelphia a couple of years ago, she's good friends with the Galena girl and some gay guy named Tyler who's a kind soul and dating the schools basketball captain.

"Here, you seem nice. Do you want to sit with us a lunch?"

Those dreaded words! Everything was going so well until she said this. I gave the girl credit, so she was pretty and adorable, but I wasn't here to make friends; sure, school could be lonely at times when you barely talked to anyone but I was content.

"That's awfully nice of you but, I'm not interested in making any friends. I just want to do my school work and then leave for college but thank you and it was nice to meet you"

I smile kindly at her. I turn around and walk away, ignoring the calls of my name and head to the library for a reading session, something I had enjoyed when I just needed to be away from the other kids.

From what I could tell, there were barely anyone in there so I head straight to the fantasy section and pick up Harry Potter and the half blood Prince, my favourite book and movie franchise. I never got sick of them. I take a seat and get deep into reading when I feel a pair of eyes on me.

I don't think anything of it and just continue reading when I feel the eyes get closer. I place my bookmark in the book and look to see Beatrice's boyfriend, Freddie now staring at me, not a sign of emotion on his face, just scanning me.

"Um, can I help you?"

I ask and he gets out of his stare.

"What?"

He snaps and I scoff. This guy is rude, I don't care if he's a football legend at this place, he won't talk to me like shit and due to my tired nature, I just snapped.

"Listen you piece of shit, you were the one staring at me, I asked if you needed something so don't get an attitude with me"

I reply back. He blinks at me a couple of times before exhaling.

"Damn inbred, you've got some attitude!"

He chuckles. I roll my eyes.

"Well you've got something wrong with your brain to listen to your stupid girlfriend and the rumours that come out of her mouth"

"It's just a joke, Cheryl chill"

He tries to assure me. I check my watch and pack up my stuff.

"Like I said, Freddie, don't listen to anything your dumb girl says"

I narrow my eyes at him before packing up my stuff and leaving the library.