XII:

Licking the envelope before sealing it, I was glad to get out of the house for a while; Mom and dad had been arguing all morning, before I even woke up, about some stuff, it had been driving me mad, so mad even, that I decided in wearing a hoodie ...

Licking the envelope before sealing it, I was glad to get out of the house for a while; Mom and dad had been arguing all morning, before I even woke up, about some stuff, it had been driving me mad, so mad even, that I decided in wearing a hoodie and legging, going back to my times of not looking my best and I hadn't done that for just over a month now.

I walk downstairs and the shoutings getting louder.

"What the hell are we gonna do, Audrey?"

My dad yells and my stomach tightens.

"I don't know, Joe okay? Stop yelling, otherwise Cheryl will hear and she doesn't need the stress"

At these words, I decide to walk into the kitchen and my dad catches my eye and signals to mom to shut up and she turns to face me.

"Oh good morning dear, you're up early"

She plasts a smile on her face. I nod and put the letter up.

"Yeah, I was just gonna put a letter onto George's grave and then head to school"

I tell her, she smiles and hums.

"Okay honey, well I'll see you later"

"Wait..."

They stop and stare as I head over to the dining room table and sit down.

"Why are you arguing? What don't you want to tell me that will stress me out?"

I ask sadly. My dad sighs and comes towards me.

"Let's just tell her, dear"

He says. Hesitantly, my mom strolls over, pulling a seat out.

"Me and your mother just got a call from the head detective back in Chicago about George's case, and they think that they may have found a suspect"

"That's a good thing though, right?"

I ask and my mom nods.

"However, we need to head back up there for the investigation..."

My eyes widen. As much as I loved Chicago, I was happy in Appleby and didn't want to leave again.

"But I wanna stay here..."

I trail off and my dad looks to my mom.

"You don't have to. Me and mom were thinking that we would go there and do everything while you stay here?"

He suggests. I don't know what he means but I signal for him to go on.

"We would get neighbours to come and check on you but you have free reign-"

"With the usual rules"