XIII:

Halloween was here and I couldn't be any happier; every year I dressed up, as would George, and this year was no different

Halloween was here and I couldn't be any happier; every year I dressed up, as would George, and this year was no different. After the fest was over, I was gonna take everyone to his grave, he would have lower the attention.

This year, I decided on a dead cheerleader costume. Before I knew I was leaving, me and Lori had planned on doing this, as we did with every year. I called her yesterday and she agreed that she'd wear it as well, even if I wasn't there for her.

As I touch up the last of my makeup, I get a knock on the door.

"Come in"

I call out. Mom and dad walk in, bags in hand.

"You're ready then?"

I smile kindly. They smile and nod.

"Yeah, we just got finished packing a bit earlier so we thought we'd come and see you before we head off to the airport"

I welcome them in and they leave their bags at the door to take a seat on the bed.

"Did you want to talk about something?"

I ask as my mom and dad glance at one and other.

"Actually yes, sweetheart there was something we wanted to say"

My mom says and I assure her to go on.

"I want to apologise to you, we all do actually. Me and your father haven't exactly been easy on you, these past months, definitely not as easy as we should have been because we all lost someone that night"

My mom says. I'm shocked, again, at how easy these words are coming out of her mouth but I'm not going to judge or make her think this wasn't what I wanted to hear.

"You may have thought that me and your mother haven't been struggling with George's murder, but we have. We just didn't want you to see us like that and make you even more upset"

My dad tells me. I almost want to cry but I let them talk.

"It got to me so much, losing my only son in...almost the worst way possible. And it actually got to me so much that I was given these-"

She gets out a bottle of pills and hands it to me, as I scan the bottle, I realise they were for depression.

"You know what I'm like, I have to be happy all the time"

She chuckles as she wipes away some tears. The tears start falling down my face as I quickly wipe away, afraid to mess up my makeup.

"You're making me feel guilty now. I've spent these months almost despising them pair of you for acting as if he was just away at college but now, I understand you were just grieving in your own way"

I say, gulping loudly.

"But, once we come home, we're gonna be a real family again. I promise you, I'll try and ease up on you  and stop trying to be perfect all the time-"

My mom promises.

"And I'll promise to ease up on the work. If you couldn't tell, that was my distraction"

We all chuckle at this as we embrace in a group hug, before they leave my room to head on the road. After this, I grab my phone, text the group to come over in a half hour before getting Lori's number up to face time her.

'Hey girl! Wow your makeup is looking amazing'

"Thanks Lori, you don't look remotely zombie enough, put some ugly makeup on your face"

I tease her, even though she had even more zombie makeup on me.

'Ooh, you're stone-cold evil, Miss Grayson'

She winks at me and we laugh together. We talk some
more about our Halloween plans when I get a lightbulb moment.

"Wait, I didn't tell you. Mom and dads are going back to Chicago this weekend because they feel like they may have a breakthrough in the case"

I tell her happily. Her eyes widen with happiness.

"Cher, that's great, finally we can catch the fucker/fuckers who killed our big brother"

She beams. We talk some before saying our goodbyes as the door bell goes. I skip down the stairs and open the door to see the everyone there: Lena, as Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter, Tyler, as Billy from scream, Chuck, as Stu, also from scream and Kora, as Mario.

"Wow guys, you look amazing"

I beam, giving everyone hugs before rushing out the door.

"We're taking Chucks car so prepare for a squeeze"

Lena assures me as Chuck gives her the finger.

"Come on, lets just enjoy ourselves and do this"

"It's gonna suck!"

Tyler trails of, jumping into the car.