Happy Christmas

Cassidy

We had been through every shop at least once, even returning to Zonko's a second time when George and Fred remembered their low stock of stink pellets.

"Thank God I'm going to be far far away." I lied, shooting the twins a smile.

"They don't smell for too long!" George shrugged.

"Yeah, no longer than an hour..." Fred agreed.

"Or two..."

"Or three!" They jiggled the small bags of pranking equipment in my face.

"Enjoy your detentions then! Use all of those before I get back." I laughed, shoving my hands in the deep pockets of my coat as we walked. The boys had insisted we finally make it to the Shrieking Shack, even though they had it fenced off so all that you could do was look. Not that I would have ever followed anyone into that place, much less this pair.

"Oi, there's Lee! I'll meet you guys later, okay?" He looked at the two of us but was already heading toward the twins friend.

"Do you want to go see him? I can wait, or I can look for Hermione and them." I didn't want to keep Fred from his friends, and I felt like I had been doing it too much lately.

"I see those prats everyday, you're going away for two weeks." I looked up to see a light pink lining his cheeks, as if he already regretted letting those words slip out.

"Oh, you're going to miss me Freddie?" I whispered, knowing eventually he would stop allowing the nickname.

"Cassy, don't make me mute you." He shot me a look that was anything but mean.

"Do you want to get something to drink? I owe you a butterbeer from last time." I tried to sound nonchalant, like my insides weren't actually churning with nerves.

"Oh, yeah, it's about time you paid up too!" He nudged me towards the Three Broomsticks and I held in my sigh at his touch on my arm.

I had never looked forward to Christmas break, but I couldn't remember one I was dreading as much as this one. The twins had been the perfect distraction from my father and Tommy's death, but the past few days anticipation of my two weeks trapped back in that house was bringing back the empty feeling in my stomach and the nightmares nearly every night.

"Cassy?" Fred's voice shook me from my train of thought as we pushed through the doors to the crowded pub.

"Sorry, yes?"

"I said where do you want to sit?" He gestured to the few tables remaining.

"Oh, you pick! I'll get drinks." I headed to the bar, rummaging through my bag for some wizarding money.

Once I had two glasses, I turned to look for the red head, which unsurprisingly took less than five seconds.

"There you go, a thank you for getting me out here. I suppose I owe George as well." I smiled, sliding in the booth across from him and taking a sip from my drink, feeling the warmth hit my stomach immediately.

"Eh, you would have seen it next year, right? I'm sure once they find Black, your dad can't have any objection."

"Yeah, maybe. I'll ask, I guess." I took another sip of the butter beer, hoping he would change the subject.

"Are you excited to go back home?" Fred asked, his eyes trained on my face like we were the only two in the building.

"Mhm..." I hummed, softly, avoiding his eyes.

"I know it'll probably be... hard. This year."

I nodded, giving Fred my best attempt at a smile.

"Will you write to me?" He asked suddenly, seeming like he had been waiting to let that out all day. "And George of course."