Slytherin

Fred,

Next weekend, October 12th is the first Hogsmeade trip. I'd love to see you, I'm sure Saturday's are busy though. You could come bring me to Diagon Ally, maybe...

School's going okay so far. I'm almost regretting taking this many classes. I feel like Hermione, and she's in more than me! Still, it's good to have something to do in my free time other than miss you.

It's getting darker here, a bit. People are getting owls practically every day, their parents wanting to pull them out of Hogwarts. How is it out there? Dumbledore's still smiling, so I'm taking that as a good sign... even though I'm sure he could keep a straight face facing Voldemort himself.

Ron's been moody lately. The new potions professor throws these little dinner parties for his favorite students, and no surprise Harry and Hermione were invited. Slughorn apparently looked right passed him. I tried telling him we could hang out tonight instead, but that didn't help.

Harry held Quidditch try outs. Ron made keeper again, thankfully, although we do have to listen to a lot more Quidditch talk than I remember. They have two new beaters too, they're younger. Third years, I think. They're not you and George, that's for sure. Harry's going to have a hard time whipping the team into shape for the first match.

I hope the store's doing okay. Are people still coming in, even with how deserted Diagon Ally's been? And with all the kids at school?

Tell your parents I say hello, and Georgie. I'm sure you're being safe, but I'll say it anyways.

Be safe.

And Chip prefers cookies to crackers, he told me to let you know.

I love you,

Cass.

I tied a string around the rolled up parchment, pulling my bag over my shoulder and starting towards the stairs to the owlery. It was getting darker, earlier now, but I was sure I had at least an hour left before curfew.

I pushed through the doorway, regret filling my chest at once at the sight.

"Look who it is, boys." Malfoy said, his lips pulling into a smirk. "Our new pal."

I didn't speak, starting towards the side of the owlery where Chip usually sat, having already made fast friends with another small grayish owl.

"I'm surprised to see you here, Cassidy. Thought you'd be with Potter at Sluggie's dinner party. Or... does he not notice you? Steering clear from all of us with our parents under the Ministry's radar, isn't he Nott?"

I glanced towards the dark haired boy. He was stood at Draco's side, his eyes scanning between the two of us, looking as though he was waiting to interject. Crabbe and Goyle grinned behind Draco as if he had said anything clever.

I paused, scanning the rows and rows before me, not finding Chip. It was late, this was probably when owls liked to hunt their dinner.

"Who you mailing?" Draco pressed on, not taking my silence as his cue to leave. "Your blood-traitor boyfriend? Or has he left you? I can't imagine the Weasley's being to keen on your heritage. They love their Mudbloods, the Weasley's." His nose turned up as he said their name and I spun back to him.

"Shut up, Draco. I don't want to keep doing this." I willed my voice not to sound like I could cry.

"You're only making it worse for yourself, Cassidy." He replied with a small shrug. "We're here for you. We know what it's like. Hell, I'd even hang out with you now. You know what your mum says?" His voice dropped as he stepped closer, a chill spreading through my veins.