O19. LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE

CHAPTER NINETEEN.
❝ LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE. ❞

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"You good?"

Daniela looked up from playing with her hands to glance at Dream who was staring out of the window, back straightening at seeing a police car parked in front of a mansion.

"Oh, God," Daniela sighed, covering her face as if the tinted windows weren't enough. Dream, knowing what she was freaking out about, rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"You know the sheriff," Dream noted. "I read your records. Nothing bad, but his, on the other hand, he doesn't exactly have anything clean from what I've seen. Got 120k sent to his account in the past week and let's be honest, a sheriff in a city like this does not earn that much."

"You read my records?" Daniela asked. Dream simply didn't respond but his eyes met those of the driver from the rear mirror, a stoic expression set on his face.

"Tell the other if they don't comply, to knock them out," he instructed and the driver did so, taking out a walkie-talkie that George provided for them (Sapnap made fun of him) since phones were something they were iffy about.

"What do I tell him?" Daniela asked.

"Tell them that your father left on vacation," Dream explained, "and that he was horrible to you, which he is. Because of his departure, you came back to retrieve your stuff back because you can escape him now without being afraid of him doing something to you."

"Okay..." Daniela nodded, her hands briefly shaking at eyeing the sheriff coming closer. "What if he asks about you?"

"No one really knows how I look like," Dream answered, "other than 'Dream wears a face mask and suits.' So, you can easily lie saying how you're staying with me because I am providing you with protection against your father. It will make the sheriff feel a bit better knowing if I am somehow close to you so... Say I'm, like, your family's bodyguard."

"Okay," Daniela breathed in and out before the window on her side slid down. "Hi, Sheriff Matt."

"Daniela?" The sheriff squinted his eyes at coming in contact with the girl, a small smile spread on her lips as she waved a bit. "We've been looking for you."

"Oh," Daniela simply said, glancing at Dream who nodded at her. "I ran away from my dad. Well, I didn't run away but, he left on vacation and-and I took this as the perfect chance to run away from him."

"Vacation?" The sheriff asked and Daniela nodded. "But, why did you run? Did he do something to you?"

Having a perfect skill that would make it believable, Daniela sniffled and made her eyes teary-eyed. "He was horrible, Sheriff. I-I had to get away. You know how afraid even my mom was of him and you should've believed her."