Chapter 11 : Comfort Death

It had been only two days since she had told Cade to leave her alone because she didn't want to see him; and she hadn't. She had no call or message from him either and obviously had not seen his face at all; but work was a little difficult; that they had to split the shift between the two girls so that there wouldn't be any more disruptions at the dinner. This meant that they would have to work less hours and more days; she truly went from having a great life with her best friend and boyfriend to now living  a real nightmare with an ex-best friend and an ex-boyfriend. She was really hurt by everything and hurt that she told him to leave and told her not to speak to her; she never felt so alone. Even though so many people where there to comfort her; she still felt alone and hurt; but she was used to dealing with the pain on her own.

 “Libby?” A male voice said bringing her back from her thoughts.

 “Oh Ace, I'm sorry I didn't hear or see you come in...um what can I get for you?” She said trying a little flustered as he sat down.

 “Um water...but are you ok? Are you holding up ok?...Must be hard working here still and just after everything...is there anything I can do?” he asked placing a soft hand on her shaking one.

 “I'm fine, really. Thank you though...um so a water and can I get you anything else?”

 “No just the water...you sure that you're ok?”

 “Y...yeah. I'm uh...I'm fine.”

 “Ah...I get it. I'm not gonna ask you again; but um would it be ok if perhaps today I walk you home?”

 “I...I'll think about it; let me get that water for you?” she said walking away.

 Ace may not have had many good relationships but he did know that if a girl says that she is fine; that means to drop the subject before they get real upset. He also knew that she was hurt bad enough that she was already building walls back up around her heart. Yet he hoped that perhaps he could talk her into letting him in those walls and into her heart. Than as the clock reached five they had noticed an ambulance outside the window had stopped right across the street at the house which had the barber shop below it.

 “What's going on?” one customer asked.

 “I'll go see.” An older male customer said as everyone followed him out onto the sidewalk; he went across the road though.

 Some of the others gathered around as well as some others that were walking pass; it wasn't long before everyone even the cook and Mrs. Smith were outside and the dinner empty. The ambulance was accompanied with another one and a police car they went back in with but only came back down about two minutes later to get the gurney. About another two or three minutes they came back down and everyone could see clearly on the gurney now was a body; covered from head to toe in a white sheet; just as the gentleman from earlier came back across the street.

 “Tony what's going on? What happened?” Mrs. Smith asked the man once he made it back as his glasses slid down his nose.

 “Sad news, very sad news. Old Elijah, poor thing he had a heart-attack...it was too strong of one he didn't make it. Worse part of all this is that his wife Carol; poor thing she was the one who found him, she just got back from getting groceries. Poor thing, she must be devastated; and I'm gonna miss that old fool.” he answered her.