Don't Hang Up!

Chapter 2
Don't Hang Up!

Five years later.

Maria? Can you please bring the Black Queen manuscript? Which one? Ahh... Vampire Uprising Chronicle 1.

Maria knocked on Ava's door. I finished the series this weekend.

Thought's? It's incredible all those easter eggs and bread crumbs no ones books are full of plot twists and what ifs?

I love the way she tied it together in book ten oh, and the way she wrote the book's so her readers grow with her, haha.
I feel like the vampire children's auntie.

I think that's the feeling she was going for Maria.

Maria handed her the manuscript. Netflix is offering $1.2 million. That's great, Ava!

Ava gave her a look of disdain. What? Queen is holding out she said $1.5 for book one she's selling the series separately and demanding creative control. Haha, smart woman is very smart.

I'll leave you to it. Being an African american publisher was hard at first getting into a white female dominated business, then only representing the greatest of black author's it was hard. Ava thought of her reward her company pumped out forty number one best seller's over a ten year period. Fifteen of those were picked up by movie studios.

Life was better since the divorce she was finally seeing the light at the end of her tunnel of happiness.

Hello baby. Hi honey, how's your day? It's busy today is appliance installation day, and you know how I loathe appliance install day. Hang in there baby it gets better. Are you coming over tonight? It's Thursday, right? Yes, sir. As usual, we do the entire weekend. I may be late, bae. I can't leave until Home Depos delivered all the appliances scheduled for today.

Okay, if I'm sleeping, use the door code, baby. Okay, I love you, Ava. I love you too, Adam.

Ohhh, I heard that! Ava giggled. Her cell phone rang. Hello, this is Ava. The line was full of static, hello? She ended the call. The day went smooth, and she headed home to cook for Adam even if he was running late dating a man fifteen year's her junior, her friend's thought she was crazy. They tried everything he's gonna want kid's. He has five already. FIVE! he's so young! He's thirty-three as this was his age when they met five year's ago when he came to deliver and install her new fridge. For the first year, there was no sex and not by her hand. He must be gay. Gay with five kids? And? She realized anything she'd say about him they'd find a problem so she stopped trying to convince outsider's he was a good man and loved him.

All done a meal fit for a king she closed his plate placing it in the microwave. Hello? Her cell rang again the number unknown, hello? Hello? Static. Ava went upstairs to shower she grabbed one of her client's new manuscripts to read before bed when the shrilly ring of the landline startled her. What now? Hello? Hello? Same white noise. She listened close to see if she could hear anything. The landline was way clearer for some reason. Ava! Ava! she heard someone calling her name through the static she hung up. Apparently, they had a bad connection.

Adam came home late, his weight on the bed waking her. Sorry, baby. It's okay how was work? Long. Did appliances show? For some reason, the last block in the complex is nothing. Nothing? No, ma'am. Damn. I know, bae. Adam! Baby, I gotta go. This contact leads to others. I know, baby. He turned his muscular back achy she rubbed a cbd cream on it, kneading her tiny finger was into the crevices of his back. That's why I fucking love you bae jesus. Haha. She left and came back with an ice pack. What the fuck was wrong with that nigga? He just up and left and you never saw nor heard from his dumb ass again? No sir. Good, cause if he ain't go there wouldn't be time for me and my baby. Ahhh! Not tonight lover boy and where is your back belt Adam? I paid $200 so I can be a old lady getting all that good love you got wear the belt negro. Yes ma'am. I got some of those pain patched from my ice fall last year when you made me think I was 35 again? Bae I keep telling you that you don't look a day over 35. Thank you honey blushing in his arms, I love you Ava so very much my marriage offer stands yes? Yes honey yawning come on lay up with me let me smell the top of your head while I doze out. Ava drifted off to sleep in Adam's arms.

Bae I'm going. Ava checked the time it was
3:40 a.m. aturn the heat up baby for me please. Okay. Kiss. She pecked him I'll call you at lunch.

Ava got up at seven got to her private office at nine p.m. her desk phone rang. Good morning this is Ava. Ava it's Queen. Good morning Queen. Good morning sissy, them netflix folk are trying to cut you out. What? Yes girl they told my lawyer that you are not needed. They have publishers to bring out the book and get it edited much faster then you.

I told them I signed an exclusive contract binding me to you for 18 month's and I'm only one month in. Thank you Queen. Draw something up send it to my attorney back date it for me to sign hurry. Yes ma'am. Ava hung up working quickly on the document.

Maria had the day off for her son's graduation she hustled to get the document right grateful Queen called to tell her.

The landline rang this is Ava.
Ava! Ava! Don't hang up! The line was staticky but she heard the person begging her not to end the call.

Who's this?

Ava, please don't hang up it's Chaise.