Defeated

Chapter 16

Instead of Scott Mandel private detective waiting on the police to go back to the house where Chaise was holed up, he decided to venture out on his own.

Hello! Mr. Dawson! Stumbling through the dark, searching for the basement steps clumsily for Chaise, recalling the layout from his earlier visit.

Damn! The torch on his hard hat lit the way.
There was a pad lock on the basement door. There were no other locks in the whole abandoned house except here. What was she hiding?

Scott hurried to his car, grabbing a crow bar.

He turned around  to a billy club at full speed headed for his forehead.

The club cracked and knocked his hard hat to the ground. The two men tussled, rambling around on the dirt lawn of the abandoned house.

There were no neighbors, no one to call for help. The investigator had the attacker in a choke hold.

The attacker struggled to free himself as his bloody nose and lip dripped on the sleeve of the investigator.

There was a crash, broken bottle the investigator self thought.

Now blinded by an oily something dripping into his eyes. He touched the substance rubbing it between his thumb and index finger, It was his own blood upon further examination.

The night air became thick instead of crip and breezy as summer nights often were, feeling like there was an air shortage. His body gave way to the earth beneath him taking a nap in a dirt bed.

What the fuck took you so fucking long Belle? Got Damn! Relax he's down ain't he? Since you know everything woman now what? Grab the duct tape, and that extra pair of cuffs, since he wants to be a super man let the hero chill with the villain.

Hahah, baby I like the way you think. Hurry up so we can get to that new seafood crab boil spot it gets crowded on Friday nights.

Scott's head was thumping and on fire from the whiskey bottle that was introduced to his frontal lobe.

Belle was kind enough to leave four gallons of water all with salt in them of course.

She also left bags of chips, half rotten fruit, old cooked meat, half spoiled milk yogurt and salad. Belle placed the items in a crisp shopping bag like it were fresh.

I'm sure you can make use of it. Its old food from out fridge I've been so busy haven't had a chance to clean it but the maid i hired took care of it. I told her give me the food I knew a derelict that would make use of it.

Chaise tossed the rotten milk at Belle. She walked to him slapping his face over and over, until it was red and raw. He was so weak he couldn't fight back.

Belle spat on him on the way out angrier then when she entered.

Jay stared over at Scott, feeling down, defeated and doomed more so than when he was alone in the dark damp dank basement.