Chapter 2- Butterscotch Brownies

"It sure is

"It sure is." -Alisa Ortega

---

I sat on my airplane chair attempting to look calm instead of excited. It was my first time on a plane and I wanted to experience everything. I was riding first-class and already played with the buttons that controlled my seat. All that's left for me to get the full experience is watch some movies and eat unnecessarily expensive food.

After ordering I sat deeper into my first-class chair with a blanket on me as I chose a movie to watch. I heard my sisters take a picture after Libby said something about warm nuts but I paid them no mind. A few minutes later my champagne and chocolate covered strawberries arrived. I've never had champagne before.

I watched my movie and took a bite of my strawberry. I came to the conclusion that it tasted better when I was riding first-class. Avery made her way to my seat and sighed, "Look, Rors. I'm sorry I ran out like that the other night." she apologized to which I gave her a genuine smile. "Everyone hates Drake, don't worry. I don't hold it against you, you're my sister for god's sake." I offered her my plate of strawberries. "Want some?" I motioned to the food, completely throwing the scene of her leaving the house to the back of my mind.

She sat herself down next to me in my chair and ate a strawberry, "What are you watching?" she asked, keeping her eyes on the screen. She was trying to change the subject and I had no intention of stopping her, "Just my luck, isn't Chris Pine the hottest?" I said just as he entered the scene. Avery hummed in agreement as she watched.

I took a sip of my champagne, expecting it to taste like rainbows. "That is disgusting." I exclaimed and pushed the glass away from me. "What's that?" Avery asked. "Champagne, horrible, horrible champagne." I answered and I heard a familiar laugh come from behind me.

"Champagne isn't that bad Rors." Libby said as she moved to my other side. Avery took the glass and sipped on it, "It really isn't that bad." she commented looking pretty impressed. "You both are weird." I laughed.

"What are you guys watching?" Libby asked as she squished herself to sit on my right side. I chuckled at my sisters, the only remaining family I have left, besides my dad. "Just my luck." Avery answered as she continued munching on the strawberries, "These are really good." she said and reached over to offer a strawberry to Libby who took two. "I want some too." I pouted childishly, earning a giggle from my elder sister. "What's the magic word?" Avery teased.

"Not please." I answered playfully and took a strawberry. Libby laughed at me with a mouthful of food "This is good, we should get more."

---

"Ms. Grambs, Ms. Grambs, and" the dark-haired, white suit wearing woman, paused then turned to me. "Ms. Grambs." I smiled in reply although she didn't see. The woman turned and spoke as she walked, "I'm Alisa Ortega from McNamara, Ortega, and Jones." she paused once more. "During your time in Texas, you're to consider yourselves guests of the Hawthorne family. I'll be your liaison to the firm. Anything you need while you're here, come to me."

"Do you know what's in the will?" I asked out of the blue earning a glare from my eldest sister Libby. Alisa shook her head as she passed the automatic doors, "No I don't." she walked to the black car by the curb and opened the door for us. I got in first, followed by Libby then Avery. "You'll find out soon enough once we get to Hawthorne House." I shared a look with my twin as if to say 'The house has a title?'

"Is that where we'll be staying?" Libby asked to which Alisa nodded, "You'll have your pick of bedrooms." she started and decided to give us a brief history lesson. "Mr. Hawthorne bought the land the House is built on more than fifty years ago and spent every one of those years adding onto the architectural marvel he built there. I've lost track of the total number of bedrooms, but it's upward of thirty. Hawthorne House is... quite something." I listened intently, interested in the life of the man who placed my sister and I in his will.

The mansion came into view and my mouth almost fell open at how huge it was. "Is this Hawthorne House?" I asked.

"It sure is."

Next to me Libby sat uncomfortable with her hands between her and the chair. I nudged her side and whispered quietly only for her to hear, "What's wrong with you?" I asked.

We passed the gate and neared the round-a-bout. Libby cupped a hand and whispered something into my ear that made me chuckle, "Do you have a tampon?"

***
some lines were taken from the book. credits to jennifer lynn barnes for it.