Chapter 29- Macha

"You girls stay put

"You girls stay put." -Oren
(i love my baley skincare queen)

---

I stayed by myself in the corner of the room.

My phone was in my hands and I tried to resist the urge to cry. I was doing it successfully.

This was all my fault. My fault, my fault, my fault. If I just got a part time job like a normal person then this wouldn't be happening. I prayed that there were no cameras to capture the house being lit on fire.

I knew that everything was taken care of by Mike and Alisa but I couldn't stop worrying. What if a small flame went unnoticed and ended up burning the entire forest that Avery and Jameson needed.

What if my dog..

My heart stopped at the realization that Orion wasn't with me.

I stood up and practically ran for the door. There must be a switch somewhere. "Open it." I turned to a bodyguard but he simply shook his head. "Please, you don't understand." I tried begging as I clawed for a switch somewhere. "My dog, he's somewhere out there." I  waited for them to sympathize with me.

None of the men spoke, "He doesn't know.." I tried to form a sentence. "He's roaming around the house, I let him out my room and.. and.." I felt someone pry me off the smooth metal door. It was Avery. "I'll text Alisa, Rors. He's probably okay." she reassured me.

I let her pull me back to my corner but this time she sat with me. I heard some shuffling and Libby appeared by my side as well. I was expecting an attack to surprise me but I strangely wasn't getting one. 

Something in me wanted to force one out for normalcy, who wouldn't get a panic attack at a time like this? 

-

I was back in my room. It wasn't over. 

Nobody showed up, no fire appeared, no money collected. It was all very weird. I had Mike staying inside with me, Oren stayed with Avery. Outside our rooms was a hallway of bodyguards. 

This whole thing remained discreet so nobody knew about the potential threat except me, my sisters, my lawyers, and the guards. 

The Hawthorne's didn't know, but everyone had added security. Some people even patrolled outside the Laughlin's home. They stayed hidden in the shadows though so the sweet couple wouldn't have to worry about it. 

We had a fire truck out somewhere close by just in case Harper and her friends decided to pop up unannounced. My lawyers were busy trying to find a solution to the problem where we could still keep the money but I didn't have much hope.

Orion sat by my legs on the bed, I was just glad he's okay. I'm never letting him out of my sight again. 

The covers were up to my chin while I stared at the ceiling, willing myself to sleep. I could hear light snores from the chair Mike sat at. I glanced down to see his head rolling to the side as he napped.