Chapter 22- Hard Candies

"I heard you the first time, I'm not stupid

"I heard you the first time, I'm not stupid." -Lorelai Grambs
(different photo today bc im obsessed w patrick bateman rn)

---

It was night and I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned on my bed but it was no use. Orion shifted to lay on his back, "Sweet dreams." I whispered before petting his head and kissing it. 

Avery has been busy all day, she came back earlier but she didn't speak to Libby or me. Honestly, I was worried. She could be stressed or just want space but I couldn't help it. I stood up and walked to the door that conjoined our rooms. 

I glanced back to make sure Orion was still asleep before knocking on the door, "Ave, I'm going in okay?" I waited for a reply but there was nothing so I opened the door. I saw that her bed was lumpy so I assumed she was trying to sleep. "I'll keep this short." I started walking towards her.

"I just want you to know that you can talk to me or Libby about anything." I said and reached the bed. I sighed before taking a seat, "You aren't going through this alone, you'll always have us. Okay?" I placed a hand on my sisters cheek. 

Weird, it felt like cotton. I frowned and pulled the blanket back. It was a pillow. My sister was gone. 

"Ave?" my voice was coated in panic. I stood up and turned the lights on, could she just be playing a prank? "Avery, this isn't funny." I looked around nervously, "You got me, haha." I forced a sarcastic laugh but something was telling me it wasn't a prank. 

I hurried over to her closet and searched for her there, "Avery!" I shouted in the large room, shit. 

I ran around looking for her but she was nowhere to be found, "Shit Avery." I balled my fist up as I shut the lights and held my panic in. I walked back to my room and shut the conjoining door before going out into the hallway. 

I took a deep breathe and smiled at Mike, "I'm going to Libby." I said. I tried to figure out whether or not to tell him, I decided against it and started walking to my sisters room. If I told him then it most likely would turn into a manhunt, maybe I was stupid for not doing it.

Mike followed me as I walked, I made a left and thought over my decision. If I told Mike then everyone would be involved and wake up in the middle of the night. Maybe I should tell him, maybe Skye did something and my sister really does need a manhunt. 

But then again, what if this really is a prank. 

Avery where did you go?

I reached Libby's room and opened the door as calmly as I could. My hands were trembling as I shut it and ran to wake my sister up, "Libby, Avery's gone." I said and held in my tears. There was a lump in my throat that I so desperately tried to shoo away. "Libby please." my voice was small. 

She finally stirred and rubbed her eyes, "Finally." I sighed and took her in my arms. Libby was thoroughly shocked, "Rors?" she asked with a hoarse voice. "Avery's gone." I told her again as I let go. 

"I went into her room and her bed was empty, she used a pillow to fake that she was still there." I sped-walked to the light switches and turned them on, I squinted at how bright the room suddenly was. "I-I don't know where she went or what happened." I said, voice slightly raising. 

Libby pushed the blanket off her and stood up, she stretched her arms upwards, "Did you say that a pillow was placed to look like she's still there?" she asked for clarification. "Yes." I answered while checking behind each of her curtains. "Yes, I did. But I think she could've been kidnapped by someone and the positioning of the pillows could just be a coincidence." I explained my theory.

My older sister walked to me and placed her hands on my arms, "Rory, relax." she shook me a bit. "Inhale." she took a deep breath, I imitated her. "Exhale." she said, I obeyed. 

"What was that for?" I asked with confusion, "Avery could just be sneaking out, it's a big house. Maybe she's just exploring." Libby tried to reason, "But maybe she was kidn--" I was cut off. 

Libby let go of my shoulders and started walking back to her bed, "Let's see tomorrow, if she isn't here then we'll tell Alisa." she got back under the covers and pulled them up to her chin. I couldn't believe how calm she was about this. 

"But what if she's dead by tomorrow." I crossed my arms to try and show confidence, "Then I'll regret not telling security." she rolled over to her side while I stood still by the window, "Trust me, she just snuck out." she repeated. 

"I heard you the first time, I'm not stupid." I walked out of her room without turning the lights off. She could do that herself.

I spotted Mike standing by the hallway, "Mike." I called out. I was going to tell him, "Avery's gone. She isn't in her room." I said as calmly as I could. 

My bodyguard pressed on his earpiece and informed whoever could hear him that my sister was gone.

---

"Well, how was I supposed to know you were just out on a racetrack with Jameson?" I exclaimed, Avery was back and in a lot of trouble. "You didn't need to call security!" she whisper-yelled since we were both in her room and avoiding our bodyguards. 

I glared at my sister, "Sorry for worrying, next time I'll just not care." I answered sarcastically, "I thought you were kidnapped and going to be killed." I huffed out in annoyance. Avery's phone rang, "Hold on." she said and answered it.

"Wow, really?" I asked with disbelief, "In the middle of our conversation." I threw my arms up and walked back into my room through the conjoining door. I slammed it shut and flopped down on my bed, Orion was still asleep. Surprisingly.

I heard the door open back up after a few minutes, "That was Max." Avery explained. "I don't really care." I replied, my face buried in my pillow. "There's an article about me and Jameson on the racetrack." she said with worry. 

That made me sit back up on alert, "I knew it." I said. "My gut was right but my brain wasn't." I said referring to me blaming Skye for the disappearance of my sister. I was evidently wrong about what to blame the woman for but I wasn't wrong about suspecting Skye.

"Knew what?" she asked, walking over to my bed. I took my phone out and googled for the article, I scrolled down and sure enough it was the same people that published the article about me and Grayson. "Holy shit." I said under my breath as I saw the picture. 

"That is one nice car." I commented before explaining what Grayson and I found out through phone calls.

***
i tried to shift two nights ago and fell asleep last night while trying but ive been seeing angel numbers everywhere. im going to try again tonight slay also i love my script

AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU! thank you so much for 13k (hot ass number if u ask me)

HIRAETH [1] || Grayson HawthorneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara