Chapter 33- Apple Pie

"Oh god, I'm so sorry" -Rory Grambs

---

I walked over to the room that Grayson was going to share with his brother while we stayed the night at Wayback Cottage. I could feel a chill run down my spine, I shook the nerves out and lifted my fist against the door

3 seconds go by, then 5, then 10. My arm started to hurt from holding my hand up so long. Why was I so scared to see Grayson?

I took a few deep breaths and ripped the band-aid off. I flinched at how loud my knocks were but kept my feet planted on the ground nonetheless. I wasn't going to run away from talking to Grayson, I was not scared.

I could hear some shuffling in the room, Grayson whipped open the door and I held my breath. "Lorelai?" he stepped to the side to let me in but I didn't move. I was nervous, that's new. "U-uhm." I stuttered stupidly then cleared my throat as if it would erase my mistake. 

"Avery and Jameson are alone, I thought that you'd want to.." I trailed off, staring at him too long, "to spy on them, and stuff." I finished the thought, avoiding eye contact with Grayson. "You want to spy?" he asked, surprised. "Yeah." I answered then widened my eyes, "I mean no." I grumbled in annoyance, "I mean, I won't be totally opposed to the idea." I corrected myself, looking at the ground in embarrassment.

Grayson leaned against the door frame, staring at me intensely, "Lorelai." he called my attention, I lifted my head immediately, "Yeah?" I think I sounded too excited at the fact that he said my name. "Are you okay?" he moved closer, sounding genuinely concerned. I almost stubbled backwards in shock, "I-I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I tried to laugh it off.

He frowned, inhaling deeply, "You just seem different." he stated, I forced a smile out, "Maybe it's just because you aren't used to seeing my reaction to almost being shot." I tried to joke but it was hopeless. I sounded like I was crying for help, I think Grayson heard it that way because the next thing I knew, he was taking me in his arms and embracing me tightly.

"I'm kind of glad you didn't die." he teased, a soft tremble in his voice. 

It all hit me at once. My sister was almost shot, I was almost shot. Avery could have died, even if the attacker had horrible aim. The bark could've went lower, hit deeper, it could have still killed her. 

If I stood just a few inches to the left then I would've gotten shot. I could have died tonight, but I didn't and I had to focus on that.

Grayson rested his cheek on the top of my head, I realized I was frozen under his hold. I slowly chipped away at my initial shock and wrapped my arms around his torso. I hugged him like my life depended on it, we've had embraces before but this one was different. It felt new, not like the others we shared. 

We were both hugging each other with full intent, we weren't half-assing this. At least I wasn't. 

I could feel his heart beating against my skin, I think I melted into him at that point. Who knew I would find comfort in the arms of the man that I always argued with. I took a deep breath, inhaling his scent. He smelled like cinnamon and cookies but I think it's only because of the clothes Mrs. Laughlin lent him. 

"I'm kind of glad you didn't die too." I confessed, feeling my palms sweat. 

Grayson cleared his throat and abruptly let me go, stepping back to have some space between us. I tried not to look so disappointed but why did it hurt when he was suddenly acting like I was something contagious. 

The nervousness in my blood dissolved and turned into shame. He still thinks of me as an enemy doesn't he? My cheeks heat up and I walk backwards, I didn't even realize I was inside the room, "Um, g-good night." I greeted before walking away quickly. I passed by Jameson as he headed back to the room he shared with his brother.

I bumped into someone when I finally reached me and Avery's room. "Oh god, I'm so sorry." I was jittery with nerves, I met eyes with the girl I bumped into and smiled apologetically. She was the girl I sat with that one time in lunch at school, "Rebecca." I greeted.

She looked at me with surprise, like she didn't expect me to remember her. "I-I was just leaving, good night." she gave a tight-lipped smile before dashing out, shutting the door behind her.

I turned back to my injured sister, "What was that about?" I asked and she began to summarize everything.

Apparently, Emily dated both Hawthorne boys and she died because of her heart. 

"Oh and she tried to trick Rebecca into thinking that her favorite color was purple." Avery finished, laying down on the bed. I'm highly surprised that neither of us has cried yet. Or at least freaked out to the max. 

Avery took a deep breath and I decided I could deal with all this Emily stuff later. "We were spying on you." I confessed, walking over to the other side of the bed. Avery stared at the roof, "I know." she answered. "I'm sorry." I apologized, looking at her laying figure. 

She turned to the side to face me, wincing because of the stitches. "Don't be." she started, "Can you just tell me that you guys are dating already?" she said. I was surprised at how normal we were acting after everything that just happened tonight. 

"That's what you want to know after we were both shot at?" I asked, chuckling a bit. I could feel myself calming down after what happened with Grayson. She smiled at me and shook her head like she's just now realizing how nonchalant we were. "You're right, I should be scolding you about spying on Jameson and me." she chuckled.

I rolled my eyes playfully and plopped down beside my sister so we were side by side. We both kept our eyes on the roof, I traced one of the cracks that was beginning to grow larger. "So." I nudged her shoulder with mine. "You and Jameson huh?" I teased, earning a laugh from her.

At that moment I realized why neither of us were freaking out. We had each other, we were both okay and there was absolutely nothing to worry about for the time being. All I needed was my sister to keep me sane.

***
omfg quick update before i need to go to my aunts bday celebration

also i have a tiktok now slay its also aalouettes <33