Chapter 49- Candy Heart's

"There's no elephant" -Lorelai Grambs

---

It was the next day. Grayson didn't stay the night and neither did Avery. Libby did come in though to gossip and talk about the most trivial things. Nurses came too, but only in the afternoon and because they needed to change my bandages. It was healing pretty nicely, it didn't seem to be infected either.

"Rise and shine, stupid." Avery barged into my room from the door that conjoined ours. I ignored what she said and pushed open the balcony door. The breeze swept in and tickled my bare legs. "What are you doing?" she asked. I watched as Orion ran out and barked at a few birds who had landed on the ground. "Nothing." I replied. Avery took hold of my wheelchair handles, I didn't know she was right behind me. 

"Now you are." she pulled me back and rolled me across my room towards the door, "What?" I asked, still confused. "The clue, Rors." she reminded me. I figured that since she didn't return to my room yesterday after our talk with Grayson, that the clue hunting was off and she was doing it all by herself instead. "Right, of course." I kept my idiocy a secret. 

Avery was about to open my bedroom door, when she remembered something. "Shit, Mike and Oren." she swore quietly, afraid they would hear through the thick wood. "We can just make up some excuse." I suggested, but that wouldn't stop them from following us around. And we both felt that they weren't meant to be right behind us for this one clue. "Tell him you're going to take a bath and not to disturb you, I'll go do the same." she instructed. I frowned, "If we're both taking a bath at the same time, it'll look suspicious." I informed her, she pondered over what I said for a few seconds before nodding. "You're right." she sighed. 

"How about this, I say I'm going to take a long bath and you just pretend you're still asleep in bed." I said, "You did it once before, you can do it again." I reminded her of the time she and Jameson drove around the racetrack. Avery's cheeks turned a light shade of pink, "Whatever." she rolled her eyes then nodded her head at my bedroom door, "Go." 

I swallowed and took a deep breath in to fake a yawn. "Mike, don't disturb me until one." I tried making my voice sound groggy, like I had just woken up. "I'm going to go take a long bath." I continued, throwing in another fake yawn. "Alright." he responded. 

Avery smiled and then placed her hand on the doorknob, "Wait." she stopped. "How the hell are we getting out of here then?" she asked. I hadn't thought about that. I began to think of a solution, the answer came to me almost right away. "My closet." I placed my hands on the wheels and began rolling myself towards my closet door. "Okay, but make it quick." she waved her hand at me as she walked to my bed to sit down. "No, I mean that's our way out." I clarified with a short eye roll. 

My sister's brows furrowed in confusion, "Is there another exit?" she rerouted and headed towards me instead of the bed, "Something like that." I replied. My stomach twisted, I instantly regretted talking about the closet. It was a direct link to Grayson's room and I wanted to be the only one who knew about it.