Chapter 10- Vanilla Ice Cream

"Why'd you tell him?" -Lorelai Grambs

---

"Oh shut the fuck up." I said out loud accidentally. Avery glared at me, but I knew she was trying to suppress her laughter. Grayson was back at it again with the accusing and scheming conspiracies. "Excuse me?" he asked, offended.

"I wasn't supposed to say that out loud, sorry." I said with faux sincerity as I played with the ring on my finger, mom's ring. Grayson blew air out of his nose and I swear I saw fire, "Fine be like that, but I'm going to get to the bottom of this sooner or later." he said and got ready to stomp off with his stupid big feet and his stupid over gelled hair.

I pat his back as he began to walk, "That's alright big guy, take all the time you need to think." I tried to reassure him but he ended up shoving my hand off. He was pissed and I enjoyed it. I just wish he'd break the 'hot, brooding, business man' cover and flip me off at least once. 

"You know, watching you make him mad is extremely entertaining." Avery said as we started to walk the opposite way Grayson went. "Try making him mad, it's even better than watching." I replied with a smile at the end. "What would I even say?" she asked me, earning an eye roll. "Please we share the same fucking brain, you think the same way I do." I told her as I heard footstomps from behind me, "That must be Mr. Tax man." I joked stupidly, my sister slapping me on the shoulder.

"What do you think he's going to tell us next time?" she asked just for the hell of it. "Maybe that we faked being twins to get this inheritance." I shrugged, knowing that what I said was a good conspiracy.

The footstomps grew louder and I soon recognized it to be running, "Oh fuck, is he sprinting towards us?" I asked, "He better be, I'm so ready to tackle his stupid ass." Avery said with an eye roll, twins indeed.

"Rory!" Libby exclaimed and hugged me tightly as she panted. "Were you the one that ran?" I asked her, she nodded but the running sound didn't stop. "Me and," she took a breath, "—Xander."

As if on cue, the curly haired boy halted in front of my sisters and I, "Hi Rory, my new idol." he said, hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. Avery laughed nervously at the pair from beside me, "Idiots, you could've just yelled at us to meet you somewhere, not run." she scolded with that motherly tone of hers.

Libby let her blue hair down from the ponytail and shook her head, I noticed the bruise on her eye was turning a dark green color, "It would've been less fun that way." she said, still heaving. Xander looked up at me as he tried to breath evenly, "Is this what dying feels like?" he asked over dramatically, making my twin and I laugh.

"Probably." Avery answered once our laughter started dying down. By this time the two marathon runners, Libby and Xander, have fully regained control of their lungs and breathed properly.

"Rors I didn't know you went through that all alone." Libby said with pity in her voice while she began hugging me again, tighter than earlier. "What do you mean?" I cast Avery a 'you're dead if you told them' look which she received entirely. "She means it's totally badass of you to strike that deal with Harper." Xander said, arms crossed.

I glared at Ave and resisted the urge to kick the back of her knee with my foot, "Why'd you tell them?" I asked her, disbelief evident on my face. It's only been a day, I can't believe this.

"I only told Libby." she said while rubbing the back of her knees as she stood up. "I didn't know she'd tell Xander." she continued and I glared at Libby for telling him. My oldest sister shrugged at me and ended our hug, "I only told Xander." she said, I looked over at the 17 year old.

He averted eye contact, looking at the ground. "Who did you tell?" I asked him, nearly seething at this point. "Only Nash, but I think he told Jameson. So Jamey might have told Gray." he explained, covering his face ready to be hit by me.

"Unbelievable." I stormed off and I had every right to do so. That was my secret and Libby had no right telling Xander. Avery had no right telling Libby without my permission. If she asked I would've said yes anyway. 

My face was reddening, I was embarrassed. Embarrassed that Xander knew, that Nash knew. gods, I was even embarrassed that Grayson knew. 

I made a turn and walked out the doors nearest to me, it led to the biggest swimming pool I have ever seen. I didn't take time to appreciate the way it looked, anger clouding my eyes. "Fuck them, fuck everyone." I swore to myself quietly as I walked to the low diving boards.

I swam competitively during my elementary and middle school days, I had to quit during high school because I was too preoccupied getting beat up for money I owed. Money I used to fund Avery and my education. And what did she do with my secret? She exposed it, she told Libby and it caused a domino effect. I wouldn't have minded if it stopped with Libby, but she blabbed to Xander. 

I needed to swim this off, I unbuttoned my shorts and kicked them away. I began to take my shirt off but someone cleared their throat behind me. I stopped and turned to glance at who it was. Grayson. Not just Grayson, but Grayson in swimming trunks.

"What do you want?" I asked with annoyance clear in my tone. I didn't need this right now. He didn't answer my question, "What happened to your legs?" he asked. I turned my entire body to look at him, his eyes widened in surprise at my livid face. "I thought Jamey had already told you." I mocked the way Xander said that stupid nickname. Grayson scoffed, "I don't associate myself with Jameson." he answered making me laugh coldly. "Don't play with me, I know he told you. 'Fess up." I said, arms crossed.

It was his turn to frown, "He didn't tell me anything, I swear. God, why am I even trying to explain myself to you." he said the word 'you' as if I was just some random piece of bubblegum under his shoe. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I asked, offended by his tone.

I'm thanking my gods right now for Grayson, I need to pour my anger out on someone and there couldn't be a more perfect person. "Whatever." he said and walked over to the diving board next to mine. "Come back here, I asked you a question so I expect you to answer." I said, walking over to him.

"I think you're filth and completely worthless. You don't deserve my grandfathers money, I do. I worked my ass off my whole life to secure that it would be mine. I know every inch of the house and business you own now. So don't go walking around as if you're much more superior than I am." he finished off. Our faces were so close to each other and I realized something, I wasn't bubblegum. I was horse shit under his shoe.

I laughed, I full on laughed. I bent over and clutched my stomach as it began to cramp from how much I fucking laughed. "What the hell is wrong with you?" he asked, completely caught off guard by my fit. "You really don't know what happened to my legs huh?" I asked, referring to the scratch marks Chester or Duke gave me.

He shook his head and got on the diving board, "I already told you I didn't." he answered, annoyed. I took my shirt off, now only wearing mismatched underwear. I positioned myself on the diving board and shared a glance with Grayson. We kept matching glares as we stared at each other and moved our arms to get ready to dive. I took a deep breath and exhaled. "I'm winning." I said before plunging myself into the water, Grayson right behind me.

This was a race, and I couldn't be more excited. I wanted to make him eat his fucking words. I am not and never will be worthless.

Fuck them, Fuck everyone, and most especially, Fuck Grayson Hawthorne.

***
U DONT KNOW HOW EXCITED I WAS TO WRITE THE SWIMMING POOL SCENE!! okay anyways i love you bye