16

Amber

When I left Ethan's house, I headed home. I stepped out, the once salmon and purple sky transformed into a vast expanse of jet-black that engulfed the town. The moon under siege by stars seemed to lighten the night bringing forth stars that shone and hung in the blackness. The never-ending blackness consumed everything. Except the stars which stood out like pebbles in front of a storm. The faint wind brushed against my skin. Now thinking it might have been a good idea to bring a jacket.

As I reached the driveway of my house I saw two unfamiliar cars. I ran up to the porch and immediately heard laughter. I opened the front door and entered. The first person I saw was Colton and his parents having dinner with my mom. "Hello Amber." My mother welcomed me.

"Hello mother." I approached her with a wide grin and whispered into her ear "What are they doing here?" I questioned.

"Amber, be nice. They are here because Colton wanted to see you. So I invited the whole family for dinner." she scolded. "Where have you been?" she asked.

"Doesn't matter." I said between my gritted teeth.

"Okay honey, hope you had fun. Now please can you go clean up. As you can see we have guests." she said not even bothered to ask anymore questions. Which I was thankful for.

"Okay mother." replied. I ran up the stairs because, my mother has two faces and you would not like to see her other face. It's not pretty.

I headed into the bathroom and had a quick shower. I got out and rapped  a towel around my body and went into my room. I got dressed into a grey cami dress. I curled my hair, put on some lip gloss and went downstairs.

When my foot touched the wooden floor, my eyes scanned the seating positions. The only chair available was next to Colton. Great. I made my way over to my seat and sat down. "You look lovely." Colton whispered into my ear.

"Thanks. I would say the same but I'd be lying through my teeth." I gritted my teeth. Colton was dressed up in a casual black suit with black and a splash of white dress shoes.

We ate in silence until mom broke it. "Amber, why don't you get back together with Colton he is a lovely fella after all." she insisted.

My fork fell out of my hand and onto the fine China. All eyes were on me now. "Mother." said trying to keep my cool "I would but I can't. I never want to get back together with a dirty scumbag like him."

"Amber! Watch your mouth. He is incredibly nice and he is such a gentle man." She said.

"Mom, he is living proof that a boy can live without a brain." I stated as a matter of factly.

"Amber! Don't say that! You know what? Go to your room." she shouted.

"Gladly!" I said and left. I stomped my feet upstairs and slammed my door. Going up the stairs I could hear mother apologize to Colton.

I jumped into bed and grabbed a pillow.  "Va' fa Napoli!" I yelled into it.

I took off my clothes and shoes and put on my pajamas and went straight to bed.

-

The class bell went and I was late. I ran down the hallway and made my way into my first class. Luckily, the teacher hadn't arrived yet. I sat down next to Ethan. "Hey you're late." he said.

"Yeah I over slept." I apologized.

"Ok well your lucky Mr. David is late today." he said and I sighed.

"You don't know how scared I was." before Ethan could reply, Mr. David came in and apologized for being late and started the lesson.

We headed out of our class and went for lunch. As soon as we got our lunch and sat down, Ethan started bombarding me with questions on why I was late. "Ok ok. Guess who came to my house last night?" I asked. He gave me blank look telling me he had no idea. "Ok it was douchebag Colton."

"No fucking way." he laughed. It was a laugh that came out loudly and continued for a while. His head tilted back and he grabbed his stomach from the pressure.

"Yes way. As soon as I left your place, the whole family was at my house having dinner with my mother. Then when I asked her why they were there she said 'Colton said he wanted to see you'. Then she starts insisting I get back together with him. Can you believe her?"

"No. Why would she do that? Did you say yes or no to the question she asked?" he questioned.

"I said no of course." I deadpan.

"That's my girl." he said giving me a high five. Which made me giggle "Hey I am having a pool party on Saturday, do you wanna... maybe... come?" he asked a little hesitant.

"Of course I love pool parties. What type of friend would I be if I don't come?" I said. He laughed and shook his head.

-

After school was over, I walked down the long hallway with Ethan by my side. "So see you tomorrow?" he asked.

"Yes. Same place?" I asked.

"Yeah." he gave me a hug and lifted me off the ground.

"Put me down you oversized baby." I laughed.

"Hurtful." He clutched his chest.

I walked over to Dylan's car, sticking my tongue out playfully at Ethan. He car  surprisingly was still here. After a few minutes of waiting for Dylan he came and unlocked the car. "Hello miss jumpy." he commented. I just couldn't wait for the pool party on Saturday.

"Hello Mr. Smiley. Who has got you smiling like that? Is it that boy in Chemistry?" I asked with a wink.

"Stop." He dragged out. "It was one time." I chuckled. "Well who has two thumbs and has a date?" I gave him a confused look. "This guy!" he said waving his thumbs around.

"Well that's awesome. Hope she doesn't ditch you for someone hotter." I giggled.

"Hey that's not nice." he pouted. That just made me laugh harder. "If you were nicer I would have offered you for some ice cream but-"

"Please I want ice cream!" I yelled.

"But you have to be nice. You have to say 'Dylan is hot and he can get any girl he wants." he teased.

"I am not saying that." I said.

"Oh but you have to. Or else no ice cream." he mocked.

"Ok fine." I said giving up. "Dylan is hot and can get any girl he wants." I said dryly.

"Thank you. That wasn't so hard was it?" he drove to the nearest ice cream shop and we got ourselves some treats. We had sat down to finish our cones of ice cream when one of the ice cream machines started to rumble and exploded ice cream everywhere.

It was hilarious to watch ice cream fly on people and everywhere. Plus free ice cream.

That's why I love hanging out with my brother. Bad things are bound to happen.

~