10. A Dress

Harry’s POV

As I watched Taylor try on several different dresses, I couldn’t help but notice how her body shape fit into the different dress forms. I couldn’t wait to see what she would look like on the night of prom, with her hair and makeup on. She looked beautiful now, even with no makeup and her hair in it’s naturally wavy state. I already knew she would look absolutely breath-taking when she was all dolled up.

Taylor once again emerged from the dressing room. She was wearing a light pink, strapless dress that hugged down her hips. The bottom of the dress flowed out. This dress was stunning. The color was great, and the dress fit her body perfectly.

“What do you think?” Taylor asked, rotating so that she could see her entire body in the mirror.

“It’s… stunning.” I replied.

I was almost at a loss for words.

“I really like this one. It’s actually perfect.” She said, still admiring it in the mirror.

I couldn’t take my eyes off of her.

“Do you think that’s the one?” I asked.

My eyes went from her legs up to her eyes, our eyes meeting.

She smiled, then nodded her head.

“I love this so much.” She said, moving her hands down her hips to feel how tight the dress was.

“I do too. You look absolutely gorgeous in it.” I replied, smiling.

I watched her cheeks grow red and she smiled before saying a quick thank you.

“Alright, I’m going to go change and then we can go ring this up.” She said, picking up the bottom of the dress and walking back towards the dressing room.

I waited for her, and when she emerged from the dressing room again, she placed the dresses she didn’t want back on the rack, then walked with me up the register to purchase the one we were previously admiring.

The girl at the register rang her up and gave her the total. For me, the price was outrageous. But Taylor paid for it easily. Must be nice to have that kind of money to spend…

“Are you her date?” the girl asked me.

“Oh, no. Just a friend.” I replied.

I wish I was though…

“I needed someone to help me pick out my dress, and he’s my best friend.” Taylor added.

“Oh. Well, you two would be cute together…” the girl added.

Taylor’s face got red, and I could feel mine do the same. I knew that already, but Taylor was way out of my league.

In all honesty, I had fallen for her in the past few weeks. She was everything I had ever wanted in a girl and more. But I knew I could never be hers.

But what I could do was comfort her, and keep her away from Niall as best as I could.

Though she kept saying that I would  never be able to take Niall on in a fight if it ever came down to it, I knew I could. She didn’t know my past. She didn’t know that I had learned to fight off my own father when he would come home insanely drunk and try to beat my mother. She didn’t know that I was stronger than almost every guy I knew.

I knew Niall was strong, but I knew I was stronger. I had had years of practice, and if he tried to come near her, I knew I was ready for him though I wanted a fight to be the last resort.

“Thanks.” Taylor replied as the cashier handed her her dress in a proper bag and handed her the receipt.

With that, we exited the store.

“What are we going to do now?” I asked as we walked.

“I’m a little hungry. How about we go get some food in the food court. I’m really craving Chinese and there’s a Panda Express.” She replied.

“Chinese sounds perfect.” I said, smiling.

I placed my hands in my pocket as we walked.

We were almost to the food court when Taylor suddenly stopped in her tracks.

“Taylor, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“We need to go the other way…” she replied.

I followed her gaze and saw a group of Niall’s friends sitting at a table.

“If they see me with you, they’ll tell Niall. Who knows what’ll happen to you… well, to both of us.” She said.

It hurt me that she was so scared of Niall.

Before I could reply, one of the boys in the group, named Zayn, called Taylor’s name.

“Shit.” Taylor mumbled under her breath.

But instead, she put a smile on and made her way to the table and I followed behind her.

They said their hellos, then Zayn spoke.

“What are you doing with this loser, Swift?” he asked, laughing.

“He’s my friend, Zayn. Stop.” She replied.

This time, the whole table laughed.

“Harry…? Your friend?” Zayn asked.

“Yes. He’s my friend.” Taylor replied.

“Wait until Niall hears about this…” he said.

I saw Taylor’s shoulders tense up, and her face looked as if it had gone numb.

“Zayn, Just leave him alone. Harry’s a really nice guy.”

“Whatever you say, princess.” Zayn said, mocking her.

“Come on, Taylor, let’s leave.” I said, my anger building up.

“Yeah, Taylor, leave.” One of the other boys at the table said.

I saw Taylor roll her eyes at the boy before following behind me as I walked away.

“Don’t listen to them, Taylor. They’re just big assholes.” I said.

“They may be assholes, but Niall’s gonna tear me to shreds once he’s healed. He told me not to hang around you.” She replied.

I knew I might regret what I was going to say, but I found myself saying it anyway.

“He’s not going to hurt you. I’ll protect you, I promise.”

TAYLOR'S DRESS: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Trumpet-Prom-Dress-with-Cut-Glass-Beads-DB67_Prom-Prom-Dresses-View-All