11. Intruder

Taylor’s POV

After the incident at the mall, I was really scared for Niall’s release.

I knew he’d still be weak, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t try to hurt me if Zayn actually told him about it.

Harry was coming over a little later to study for a test we had later on this week, so I had something to look forward. Harry had become one of my best friends, and I turned to him for basically anything.

Only he knew how scared I was about Niall being released. Everyone at school thought that I was ecstatic. If only they knew…

I heard the doorbell ring and I jumped off my bed and ran to open the door. My parents were at work, and Austin was at a friends’ house, so I was the only one home.

When I opened the door, Harry was standing there. He held his cell phone in one hand, and a drink tray from Starbucks in the other.

“I figured you wanted some coffee, since we’re starting so early this morning.” He said, smiling.

He was the sweetest thing, I swear.

“Thank you, Styles.” I said, taking the Frappuccino out of the drink tray. I knew that one was mine because Harry didn’t enjoy ‘girly’ drinks. He liked his coffee black, and I assumed that was what was in the other cup.

“My pleasure.” He replied, walking in the door.

“My parents are at work and Austin’s at Trevor’s house, so just make yourself at home.” I said, walking towards the living room.

Harry set his coffee down on the bar of the kitchen and took his backpack off of his back.

“Baseball season starts tonight.” I added, crossing my arms.

“Yes, Taylor, you haven’t let me been able to forget that.” He replied, smiling. “The Rangers are playing the Angels.”

“I’ve taught you well!” I replied.

“I really haven’t had a choice!” he said, laughing.

He was right. I LOVED baseball season, and I enjoyed talking about it any chance I got. The Texas Rangers were my favorite team, and they played their season opener tonight against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

“I’m already ready for baseball to be over with so that maybe you’ll get a good grade on this test!” he said, grabbing his book out of his backpack and joining me in the living room.

I playfully rolled my eyes and turned on the stereo. I needed music in the background to help me concentrate better. I turned it down low as the dj introduced the next song.

It was an older song, but it was one of my favorites.

Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts.

“I love this song.” Harry said, taking a drink of his coffee.

“Me too!” I replied, turning up the volume.

Suddenly, Harry started to sing along.

“Every long lost dream led me to where you are. Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars pointing me on my way into your loving arms. This much I know is true: that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.”

I listened to his voice as it stayed perfectly in key. His voice was wonderful and I couldn’t help but smile.

“I didn’t know you could sing…” I said softly.

Harry’s face suddenly turned red. “Oh, I can’t. I just…I do it in my free time.”

“You’re amazing. You should do it more often.” I said, smiling.

“NO. I mean… no. I just… my mom used to love it when I sang. She taught me how sing, and she used to sing me to sleep. And when I sing, I’m reminded of her. It hurts. I don’t like the constant reminder of her death.” He replied, staring at the floor.

I sighed. I really didn’t know what to say.

“Well… I didn’t know your mom, but maybe she’d WANT you to keep singing. Let her memory live on through your voice.” I said softly. I hoped I didn’t offend him.

This time, he sighed. “I know I should… I just can’t bring myself to do it.”

Suddenly, the doorbell rang.

“Who’s that…?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know… I wasn’t expecting anyone else…” I replied, slowly approaching the door.

I heard Harry walking behind me.

I slowly opened the door, still curious as to who was here.

Before I could see who it was, or even greet them, Niall stormed in, his arm in a sling and a bandage over his eye.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU, YOU LITTLE BITCH.” He screamed.

I don’t think he noticed Harry yet. He had stepped back when he realized it was Niall.

“Niall…” I tried, sympathetically reaching a hand out.

Before I could say anything else, he slapped me across the face.

“HEY. Don’t TOUCH her!” Harry said, storming in from the living room.

“You have GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME. He’s here. AGAIN. I told you to stay away from the little bastard.” Niall said. He looked to Harry, rage in his eyes.

“He’s just helping me with homework, Niall!” I said, trying to get his attention back to me.

I didn’t know what I’d do if he hurt Harry.

“Homework or not, you’re MINE, Taylor.” He said, still looking at Harry.

He took a step towards Harry and I watched him clench his fist.

Within the next few seconds, he drew a punch, but before Niall’s fist his Harry’s fist, Harry grabbed Niall’s wrist and had his arm tied behind Niall’s back.

I was shocked at how strong Harry was. Sure, Niall was injured, but even injured I was sure Niall would beat the crap out of Harry.

“You might want to rethink your actions, Styles.” Niall said through clenched teeth.

“I don’t need to. I can beat the shit out of you. Don’t touch Taylor like that ever again.” Harry replied.

Niall laughed. “Yeah, right.”

“It seems to me like this is just foreshadowing what’s to come.” Harry said. “Now get the hell out of here before I call the cops and tell them that you just slapped the shit out of your girlfriend.”

Harry let go of Niall now, and pushed him towards the doorway.

I opened the door and Niall walked out.

“I’ve got my eye on you, Harry.” He said, pointing at him as he walked out.

Harry just smiled as I closed the door behind him.

“Are you okay?!” Harry asked, placing a soft hand on my cheek.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied. “Are YOU okay?”

Harry laughed. “I’m fine! That little thing can’t hurt me, Taylor. And I’m not going to let him hurt you again, either.”

I looked into his eyes and smiled.

Slowly, he moved his hand from my injured cheek and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

And that was the moment I realized that I was falling for Harry Styles.