Two | Awkward dinners

The apartment comes fully furnished. Thank fuck for that. The facility cost enough to wipe out nearly all of my life savings.

I drop my bags beside my bed, taking in the smaller space. Definitely looked larger in the photos online. Oh well.

My phone begins to vibrate in the palm of my hand. When I look down at the caller ID, I note Davina's name. I don't decline it, but I allow it to go to voicemail before turning back to my new room.

I fall against my bed, staring up at the ceiling when Dean enters the room. "Need anything else?" he asks.

"Nope," I state, offering him a half-hearted thumbs up.

Silence consumes us before he sighs, pacing the room until he's leaning his hands against the window overlooking the street. "Maya wanted to know if you'd come over for dinner tonight."

I sit up, raising an eyebrow. "Since when did you become so chummy? She hated you."

Dean grits his teeth, turning his head to watch me closely. "When you decided to stop responding to her texts."

"Yeah, when I was in the facility," I deadpan. "She hasn't tried to call me at all today."

Dean turns around, leaning back against the window. "You can't blame her for thinking you'd just ignore her, though. You did it to everyone the entire time—"

"So much for not being mad," I mumbled, standing up to begin unpacking my bag. "And when did you start becoming so defensive over anything I say about Maya—"

My hands freeze above the zip as I whip my head up to look at him. "Oh my god," I laugh, choking. "You're fucking."

His frown deepens. When he looks away, I know I've hit the mark. "When did your vocabulary become so crude? It's not like that."

"So it's serious then," I raise my eyebrows, biting my lip to stop the laughter. "No fucking way. I must be dreaming."

"She's different than what I thought," he whispers. "When we first met, she was completely defensive over you, which I liked. But even more than that, all she ever wants to do is protect the people she loves. As if it's the reason she was made for the world. As if she doesn't have the right to look after herself first."

I nod, clearing my throat. "I know. You're talking to me like I don't know my own best friend."

"Then you're coming to the dinner?"

I nod, still dazed by the revelation. My best friend and my brother. What the fuck?

"Just don't start getting all PDA on me," I cringe. "I don't want to watch you suck face with my best friend."

He offers me a tight smile, averting his eyes again. "I wouldn't do that to you."

I notice his eyes sadden as he walks towards me, unzipping the bag. My heart sinks suddenly in realisation.

"I was joking," I say defensively. "You can kiss her if you want. I'm not going to burst into tears just because— well, because I lost that."

You're going to the hospital. I'll meet you there later.

"Rhea—"

I close my eyes, shaking my head. "I'm fine."

His hand lands on my shoulder before he's tugging me against his chest for the second time today. "I know what I said in the car. I'm sorry. I should never have said what I—"

"Don't worry about it," I pull away, clearing my throat. "I've had a lot of time away to think about... everything. My therapist inside New Beginnings agrees that it would be in my best interest to stay away from the— Patridge family."