Twenty-Seven | Terrible Ultimatums

I cannot thank you all enough for your patience with me. I'm finally back and will be uploading a lot more frequently. 

Enjoy x

I can't say how much time has passed. I'd slowly grown used to the darkness, wondering whether the sun had risen or was about to set for the day.

Not knowing the time was psychological abuse to the mind. Charlie knew what he was doing to me. Keeping me locked up in this basement would be the first thing that killed me, maybe even before he did.

If I could guess, I'd been here for at least two weeks. I'd tried to keep track by relying on the meals they gave me, three each day. It had begun to blur at the edges until; eventually, I was too exhausted to keep up.

I wondered what my friends and brother must think. Whether they knew what's happened or that I'd just run off if this past year were anything to judge by, I wouldn't put it past them if they believed I'd just left. I'd thought about doing it before when everything was at its worst.

I don't try to think about the other people that often try to slip their way into my mind. I hope Sofía is safe, though. She's about the only good thing left in that family.

I work my jaw daily, wondering if the pain will ever cease. It's been sore since the day I got here after being hit with something to knock me out. It did its job.

The pain cracks through my body, and I wince back against the wall. The mattress under me squeaks loudly as my weight moves across the springs.

God, what I would do just for a nice walk outside. I won't beg, though. I don't want them to know that the darkness seems to be slipping in more than just my surroundings. I can feel the edges of my mind begin to collapse, almost like I'm losing my sense of self.

That's if I ever really had it in the first place. What was I doing? How could I have been stupid enough to get caught up in the Patridge's again? I'd finally gotten back on track and landed at work with Davina to find myself where I started again.

I'd barely seen Charlie Bryor. He mostly used his minions to dispense my food, often chucking it at my feet. I craved conversation with anyone other than myself, but it was as though they'd taken a vow of silence—another psychological technique on Charlie's behalf.

I hadn't considered physical torture less painful than mental, but right now, I wondered if I was wrong.

The door creaks open and light pulls in, illuminating the stairs. I pull my knees to my chest, waiting for the day's first meal.

When the feet land on the last step, and no food is thrown at my feet, I look up, staring into the pits of Charlie's eyes.

"Finally decided to grace me with your presence," I choked out. My throat my extremely parched, lips cracked and caked in my blood.

"Thought it was only fair that I finally give you an explanation as to why you're here."

"Other than you're searing hatred for the Patridge family? I thought that was the explanation," I retort.

Charlie leans against the staircase's railing, and god, would I kill for that strength right now. I can barely stand up now without feeling dizzy.

"We know Brax killed Dex," Charlie says, swallowing.

He looks calm, but I wonder if a part of him is simmering in anger, in the hurt of losing a loved one.

I choose not to respond, unsure whether my voice would give too much away.

"We know your hotshot lawyer friend has taken on the case, defending some kid they're charging."

"And you believe the kid didn't do it?" I question.

Charlie scoffs, running a hand through his hair. "It couldn't be more obvious. It didn't take much digging to lead us back to the Patridge family. At first, we were all fooled, believing it was Xavier, but Brax didn't take long to reappear. The motive became much clearer then."

"When did you realise he was alive?" I blurt, unable to help myself.

Charlie grins maliciously, clearly aware of why I want to know.

"A few months ago. One of the guys caught him filling up his car a few hours out of town. Didn't do very well at staying dead."

A few months. So many people had known he was alive when I didn't. I'd been kept in the dark, suffocating in the pain and sadness of never seeing him again whilst he was deciding to become a sniper-like revenge artist, patrolling the goddamn state.

"It hurts, doesn't it? Knowing that you were the last to know," he digs.

I ignore his jab, turning my head away from him as I process what to say next.

"What is it you want from me then? I feel like it's been made clear enough that no one is coming to get me."

I feel the puncture wound sitting on my chest. It still hurts, even when I try to separate myself from the words.

"Get the charges dropped against the kid and find Brax to be the guilty one."

"It doesn't just work like that," I say. "I'm just an assistant, anyway. It would work better if you went to the police with whatever evidence you had."

I feel the bile rising at the idea of Brax being imprisoned.

I wait for Charlie's response, but it never comes. For the first time in weeks, I feel hopeful.

"You don't have any actual proof against him, do you? It's just what you think. You can't go to the police because there is nothing to show them."

He grits his teeth in annoyance, moving towards me. He squats down in front of me, suddenly making me wonder how many people he's murdered in cold blood.

"I need you to get him to confess," he says, reaching out to touch a strand of my hair as he twirls it around his finger.

"Why would I ever do that?' I snap. "Why would I willingly help you?"

He pulls at the strand of hair he's holding, and I wince. Where only inches apart, and I can feel the fear spreading through my body as my breathing increases.

"It won't be hard to find that pretty, little Patridge girl. You wouldn't want more blood on your hands, would you? Not after you got Casey killed."

My breath hitches as tears prick the corners of my eyes. Sofía.

"Yeah, I didn't think so," he says, pulling away. "Guess that only leaves one option."

He walks back towards the stairs. As his foot lands on the first step, he stops, turning back towards me.

"Now we have that sorted; your friends will be here to get you tomorrow morning. I'll be in touch soon."

With that, he leaves me alone in the darkness once again.