Eight | Return again

A sense of deja vu overcomes me. Walking into the foyer, heels clicking, I remember the feeling I had over a year ago. The nerves. The excitement.

Something sits heavy in my chest now as I approach the front desk. It's not the same receptionist and for some reason, this gives me a sense of peace.

"Rhea."

I turn towards the right, just as I approach the desk. Davina approaches me with a broad smile, black hair swishing as she indicates to follow her. I walk by her side as she holds open the door for me to enter the lift first.

"I was worried for a second there."

"Hmm?"

"Ten minutes late," she points to her watch, raising an eyebrow. "Not like you."

Truth be told, I'd sat in the car for half an hour before I'd found the courage to walk inside. It was like revisiting a memory you'd stored away. Something that should remain untouched.

"Sorry," I say. "Lost track of time."

"Okay," she says, clearly not believing a word I say.

"What's this kid like anyway?" I ask, moving on from the subject.

The lift dings and we are greeted by the signature glass-panelled walls of the offices here. She walks out first this time, leading me down a path I already know like the back of my hand.

"He's pretty quiet. Doesn't say much. His parents are much more intimidating, though. They like to keep him from saying much."

"Because they know something?"

Davina's steps slow as we approach her office. "He's innocent." 

"Okay," I say, nodding. 

"I wasn't wrong last time was I?" she says. 

The thought of Brax alone makes my heart sink. As soon as she says it I can tell she feels bad. 

"I--" 

"It's okay," I interrupt. "What's his name?"

"I'll introduce you when we're in there." 

The boy's back is turned to us as we enter. I almost don't notice his parents sitting on either side of him because I'm suddenly so struck with the eeriness that consumes me.

In the seconds it takes before he swivels around to face us, it could be Casey. Same dark hair, falling just before his shoulders. Same build. Same posture. 

Only when I'm met with the different features of his face am I able to enter the room. They don't look anything alike. They aren't the same person. 

You're okay. 

"Thomas, this is my assistant, Rhea," Davina introduces. "Rhea, this is Mandy and John Lancaster. Thomas' parents."

I wonder how long I'm staring at John's hand until he clears his throat. I smile awkwardly, shaking his hand as I take a seat to the side of Davina. 

Not much of her office has changed. Maybe a new plant and an updated photo of her child, but everything else is virtually the same as I last saw it. 

It's always been so strange to think that a place won't change, but everything else around it can. 

Brax was here once, and now he's gone.

"So," Davina claps and I jump.

She smiles at me reassuringly and it's all I need to know that she truly will be here to support me. Whatever I need. Whenever I need it.