Twenty-One | Double pain

I'm out the front door as fast as the bolt of lightning that strikes the ground in the distance. 

With a hand clutched to my chest, I can feel my windpipe closing in on me. I'm struggling to find air, even in the frigid cold of the night.

The darkness wraps itself around me, consuming my sight. I can't even see my on hand as I hold it out in front of me, scared that I might fall into something. 

"Rhea!"

This can't be happening. This isn't happening. 

Brax died a year ago. He isn't chasing after me right now. 

He's dead. 

I'm so cold. My teeth begin to chatter as I lose myself further into the night. 

I'm not sure where I'm walking or for how long, but I know I can't go back into that house. I can't face what I already thought I lost. 

All this pain, all this sorrow; what did it bring me? What was the need? 

It was all a lie. 

"Rhea!"

My heart constricts and I grimace, covering my ears with my hands. 

I thought that voice only existed in the small number of videos I'd saved to my phone. I thought it existed in memory. A memory that had begun to fade these past few months. I'd nearly forgotten what he sounded like at all.

It hits me hard; the sound of him, the way his eyes met mine. 

I'd run before he could speak to me.

Where do you even begin with someone you thought was dead for years? 

A hand lands on my shoulder and I gasp, tripping over my own feet. I don't land on the ground, though. He's wrapped his arms around my waist and I'm pulled up against him. 

My arms are tucked against his chest so I can only struggle to get out of his hold. 

For a moment, he doesn't say anything. I can't seem to find my voice either. 

I'm in shock. I can hardly breathe. 

"Rhea," he whispers into my hair, burrowing his head against my shoulder 

I want to pull away so badly. Every fibre of my being is willing me to move. I just can't find the energy.

His warmth stops my teeth from chattering, but it doesn't help with the coldness spreading through my body. 

"I know I have a lot to explain to you. I know that you're probably going to need some time to—"

"Let go."

The anger comes from deep inside me. I can feel it rising up so strongly that it's ready to rip open the world. 

Fuck him for the unnecessary pain he has caused me. He doesn't deserve to be listened to. 

"Let go," I repeat. 

"Rhea—"

I begin to slam my body against him, struggling to find a weak spot in his strong grip. 

"Let go of me!" I scream. 

I can feel the tears beginning to poke through my anger and I try my hardest to fight them away. 

How dare he does this to me. How dare he let me think he was dead all this time. How dare he let me fight my demons alone. 

I needed him. I loved him.